PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Tree Coral, Or French Tickler... ID and Keeping Question

paulsilver
04/15/2007, 11:57 AM
I just picked up a soft coral I believe is a Christmas Tree or French Tickler Coral... same thing... I believe it is a species of Studeriotes... no zooxanthelae and so does not need light, but needs to be fed... Got it at Rumford, from an invert tank, not with the other corals... no one knew what it was, exactly... the top part can be retracted into the basal "stem", which is rare I think, and likely the determining characteristic...

I am used to feeding corals, such as Sun Polyps, so that part is no issue to me.

My wife took my digital camera with her on business today... so I cant show the picture... basically a off white body, brown polyps, retractable into the stem, as I said, opened up looks somewhat like a christmas tree... thus the common name... for those with the Delbeek/Sprung books, I am using Volume 2, Reef Aquarium, pg 191 as my source for the ID of this...

Not sure exactly...

Anyone ever have such a coral? Any info would be appreciated.

hatebreed
04/21/2007, 02:41 PM
I have a Christmas Tree. It's an interesting coral. They like to be kept in the sand at the bottom of the tank. I don't know if it applies to the entire species, but mine prefers to be slightly shaded.

As for feeding, I haven't quite figured it out yet, but he seems to like oyster eggs more than anything so far.