PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps a new "how to id SPS" tutorial is needed?

dots
04/15/2007, 01:20 AM
Would someone please give a tutorial and possibly stick the thread if its constructive at the top of this forum. I believe there may have been one a while back but can't be certain.

I believe in the old "teach a man to fish" theory and would like to increase my knowledge as a reefer and perhaps gain some insight as well to the industry.

Obviously, the most definite and conclusive way would be to examine the structure of the skeleton, but would some people go through their methodology behind their identifications through visual interpretations from a photo.

I myself am getting pretty good at narrowing it down through my experience and having the Vernon books for reference, but find my "guess and check" method......in a word, "amateur".

My main rub is this: If one looks through the Vernon books and the AIMS list, we only every see a portion of the names used. Why is this, are the Turakis, Echinatas and Torts etc....that we see so often identified and sold as compared to the brueggemanni, scherzeriana, rudis, which are just a portion of these names we never here mentioned.......

And I won't even talk about the Montipora which seems even worse.

Or is it that these are in restricted regions, excluded from export, or super hard to keep alive is why?

What methods does one use to "thin the heard" or are we all just throwing darts?

Why I ask?
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1096067

In this thread it was mentioned to be the two mentioned, but the "similar types" do not even cross reference the two named in the AIMS directory. I do imagine that if I were to go to the ones as possible identifications, there is a good chance that they would be cross referenced with those instead.......creating that association. And I do assume that those listed as "similar types" are not the only ones and just the two mentioned.

In no means am I questioning this specific example, but am using it to elaborate the questions of why don't we see more of a variety of names being used and what is your personal strategy or insights (political, regional, business as well as biological and structural) in identifying these pieces.

I figure since its a new forum.......go place and time to stick a "how to id guide" at the top and explain what one looks for in doing so.

Please mention immature samples and what is needed for id, morphology, and other factors that may influence this "art of identification"

Please teach me how to fish rather than throw darts.

Where are the biologists, I think this is your neck of the woods?

fijiblue
04/15/2007, 07:45 AM
dots-
I first would reccomend getting the Coral of the Worlds books. Become familiar with the species' names and their skeletal structure. Keep in mind that a coral wont always look like the wild ones shown in the book. If a coral is aquacultured, it can be grown in a different condition than it is found in, thus changing it's form slightly. That in my opinoin would be a good start:D

dots
04/15/2007, 11:42 AM
I have them as I stated above, however I know enough on this topic to what some would call "just enough to get myself into trouble" with and am looking to learn more on it.

I do know that to get 100% positivie identification one needs to examine the structure under a microscope or eye loupe for comparison and contrast of the skeleton. Thats the the scientific and most accurate approach. However, this is destructive and time consuming.

I am more interested in peoples techniques of visual identification and if they have industry or regulation insights that I may not that would eliminate say.....1/4 of the possible candidates due to something they see that I am overlooking, and their explanation of why we seem to see only a small percentage of names used.

Visual identification without destruction of the specimen sounds more like a skill/art than 100% scientific method approach to the question of Id, and would like more guidance on how to do this quickly and accurately.....I would most likely expect to get responses from wholesalers or retail stores people who deal regularly with needing to classify 100s of pieces quickly and accuratly.

But yes, I am reading "Corals of the World" vol 1 by Vernon book currently.

fijiblue
04/15/2007, 03:39 PM
You are half way there...the rest is just experience. I see a lot of corals everyday. It is because of this constant observation that I am able to look at something and say what it is. Granted, I am not always right, but can narrow it down to the top 2 - or 3 on a difficult one:). In aquacultured coral, I can tell you what the flavor of the month is, where it is being shipped from, etc. It is just from seeing them everyday. Again, most wilds look a lot different then aquacultured due to the difference in their enviornmental conditions in which they grow. In this case, it pays to know what species are coming in from where and what they look like.

This is just my experience and I hope someone else can add in theirs.:)

Oldude
04/16/2007, 12:28 AM
Veron's book is excellent, however I find it hard to believe that he was able to cover everything there is. Reticulate evolution also makes id's harder as was eluded to with the wild vs aquacultured comment. I think a dedicated thread may have a lot to offer as there are so many out there with more experience and a vast knowledge we/I want to learn from.:rollface: