PDA

View Full Version : Just got my first teeny, tiny horses

reefgal
08/26/2002, 07:37 PM
At one time I tried a dedicated 30 gallon seahorse tank with two pair of captive raised seahorses from Ocean Riders. I had a terrible time. I had every bizarre type of seahorse death you can imagine including a red-eyed rock crab (that I did not know was in the tank) that got one of my females. After a few months I gave up and took the tank down.

I have a 30 gallon refugium connected to my 220 gallon reef. The refugium is almost a year old and contains nothing but a deep sand bed and several varieties of caulerpa. It has tons of pods, worms, mysis shrimp, etc. I just added a pair of tiny little seahorses a couple of days ago. So far they look healthy and happy and are eating like pigs. Since I've never kept these tiny little guys before, I was wondering if anyone had advice to share?

mobert
08/27/2002, 04:31 PM
No experience but keep us informed as to how it goes. I've thought of doing the same thing but bigger horses in my 40 gallon refugium hooked to a 240 gallon tank.

dwarfatize
08/27/2002, 05:09 PM
Sounds cool. Where did you get the horses? Are they farm raised or WC.

Mobert-
If you want to do it I can help get you started. Your refigium is more than enough for horses, and they get along with bangiis(sp?).
that is just my $.02
Dane

mobert
08/27/2002, 07:02 PM
Dane,

Thanks for the offer. I sent you pm.

Mona