PDA

View Full Version : what is it!

A.T.T.R
04/12/2007, 12:17 AM
ok
this has stumped me. and two lfs in the area along with any onewhose seen it

it appears to be xenia or anthilia ( the stalk is xenia like in some places but anthilia like in others. ) \

but heres the kicker.. after they grow the polyps are on individual 'stems' 6-10 inches long!!!

any one seens this before

i have 3 frags. one of the fully grown long stalk. but i need to get a bit more flow since it is laying on the rock flat.... :( ahh well store i work at is getting more vortechs soon.. and i have 2 in a frag tank out side i also have a frag at the lfs i work at
( i bought the coral then fragged it to maximize chance of survival.)
has any one heard of this coral before.. ill try to get picts once mine starts to perk up ( one at the lfs looks perfect tho. just cant get a good pict in the tnak its in)

MIREEFER
04/12/2007, 05:35 PM
is this it ? if so its from the genus antheia sp.
some common species are A.fishelsoi,A.flava,or A.glauca.
some commen names are waveing-hand,glove coral,pulse coral.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/ltz40055/wavinghandcoral.jpg

A.T.T.R
04/13/2007, 12:00 AM
well id like to find the genus first ( gonna bring camera with me tomorrow. and take some underwater picts.. mine in my main tnak looks like crap. the one out side is still young and short polyped)
the main difference is LONGER stalks.. about 6-9 inches or so..
and SMALL polyps on the end ( smaller then those atleast.. the polyp ends look a lot like xenia elongota. but this is way to long to be one of those
ALSO the base is what is making me confused on the genus
some areas seems to have a small up rising central stalk where the otehr stalks come out of. while other areas it seems more anthelia like with an encrusting base .

* remember xenia forms common stalks. anthelia encrust

anyways once i get a pict that should help//
wait working early tommorow. may be sat before i can ge thte pict

teena
04/15/2007, 08:58 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f170/swfish/DSCN0257.jpg

teena
04/15/2007, 08:59 PM
do these look like what you have?

MIREEFER
04/15/2007, 11:08 PM
iv see that stuff at the lfs it grows like mad

teena
04/16/2007, 07:11 AM
keep it on a rock by itself away from other things & it cant go far,

A.T.T.R
04/16/2007, 06:17 PM
teena.
that loosk like everyday xenia elongota ( using the polyps as a size referance ot judge stalk length)

on mine the polyps are much further away from the base. ( over 6 inches

the one i have in anohther tank is over 10 inches n some spots
still need to take a pic..

Bous
04/17/2007, 07:59 AM
My xenia has grown into what you are discribing. After growing and splitting many times, one trunk split away and slowly started to move away from the main group. It stayed small for about 2 mounths. Then it started to grow like mad and looks different that the parent group. the polyps are about 6"-8" from the trunk. THe parent group has split and grown since this has happened and all of those look like the parent.