PDA

View Full Version : Club Officers

luminary
08/24/2002, 09:57 PM
There has been sporadic discussion regarding officers from the club ranging from none to one to a lot of them. I'd like to suggest a few different positions that I think will help offset some of the work that it takes to organize the club. Over the past year I have been doing what I thought was necessary and that was sufficient when there were only a few of us. Now that we seem to be getting a larger membership base (20+ at the past two meetings), we need to break up some responsibilities. Given that, here are the positions that I think are necessary.

President: The primary responsibility of the pres would be to ensure the club runs to everyone's satisfaction. The purpose of the club (in my eyes) is to provide a meeting place for reef hobbyists to get together and discuss reef related topics and basically to have fun. The presidents job is to make sure this is happening. More specifically, they should be responsible for setting time/places for meetings as well as act as the club contact person for any external organizations (arranging speakers, trips, etc).

Secretary: The secretary would be responsible for documenting what goes on at the meetings as well as handling any publications/flyers/business cards we decide to make a part of the club. For instance, ensuring that local stores have stocks of the cards that I have been printing. They would also be responsible for sending out meeting announcements to the club email list as well as posting them on the main online forums.

Treasurer: If we decide that we are going to collect dues, the treasurer will be responsible for handling the money. They would also be responsible for running auctions (and possible raffles?) at club meetings.

Membership Director: The membership director would be responsible for maintaining a list of club members. If we decide on dues, they would work in conjunction with the treasurer to keep track of who has paid them. I also think it would be good to create an "application" for each member that summarizes what tanks they have, specific reef related interests, etc. The director would keep track of all that.

Webmaster: This one should be fairly obvious! The webmaster is responsible for keeping the website up to date as well as facilitating the management of the email list. They will not necessarily be responsible for creating the entire site, but will be "in charge" of it.

One thing I would like to add concerning establishing officers...I do not want (and from what I've gathered talking to most of you, neither do you) the club to turn into a huge bureaucratic mess. I don't really want it to be much more formal or organized than it is now. I simply think that with the growing interest in the club that we need to have a small group of people that are responsible for the above items.

I'd like to spend the next couple of weeks discussing this positions. These are just my first thoughts on it based on the work that I've needed to do. Please feel free to recommend more, less or modifications to any of them.

We should strive for having nominations/volunteers to the positions before the next meeting and having an election of officers at the next meeting.

Jabrams
08/24/2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by luminary

We should strive for having nominations/volunteers to the positions before the next meeting and having an election of officers at the next meeting.

I would like to volunteer my service as the club Secretary.

gregt
08/25/2002, 07:11 AM
I nominate Joe for the position of club secretary. :D

Passionfish
08/26/2002, 09:34 AM
I think officers is a great idea, as is dues. I therefore volunteer for treasurer and nominate Matt for president. I do think membership director is redundant (secretary can keep list of members and treasurer can collect dues).

luminary
09/03/2002, 07:04 AM
OK...so far we have these nominations/volunteers:

President: Matt
Secretary: Joe
Treasurer: Deborah

With the recommendation that Membership duties are split by Secretary and Treasurer. That's cool with me as long as it doesn't become burdensome.

We still need a volunteer for Webmaster!!!

If we just have one person for each position, those people will have it by default. If there are more than one, we can do an election at the September meeting, but it doesn't look like there will be.

gregt
09/03/2002, 07:13 AM
I'll volunteer for webmaster.