PDA

View Full Version : Shield for CSL 32w Smartlite retrofit......?

Peabody
08/24/2002, 02:49 PM
Hi all,

I'm changing an old Eclipse 12 of mine to a nano, and want to add the CSL 32watt Smartlite retrofit. What can I do for a splashguard? I assume it is unsafe to put directly over the water without any protection? What should I do? I know many of you guys have retro'ed PC fixtures before and was wondering what works.

My other option is a 36 watt retro kit from ahsupply.com It says it has a moisture resistant endcap. I'm assuming this would still need a shield, though?

(I know a 2xthirty something retro is an option, but I'm not going to keep anything too light intensive)

josh.luben
08/26/2002, 10:28 AM
I have an Eclipse 6, and it has a small lip around the inside top black frame. I cut a 1/8" piece of acrylic to fit on top of this lip and it works great. If you are using the filter that comes with the Eclipse, then that will generate a lot of spray and you'll have to clean the splash shield about every three days. I just have powerheads in my tank and I clean the spray off the bottom maybe once a week.

Good luck!

bigduke
08/30/2002, 02:31 PM
I use one of those clear plastic flourescent tube covers. You can pick them up at any hardware store for a buck and they fit perfectly over the new light after cutting down the length. Just wipe it down ever once in a while.
Hope that helps.

printerdown01
08/31/2002, 07:44 PM
Also arts and crafts stores sell plastic boxes that work quite well for light covers... :)