PDA

View Full Version : propagation of star polyps

mmortus
08/23/2002, 10:19 PM
what is the best method to prop a star polyp. what size should the colonie be before you prop it?

mmortus
08/23/2002, 10:30 PM
How fast to star polyp spread?

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
08/24/2002, 12:09 AM
i just use a razorblade and cut off a section of maybe 12 polyps and superglue the purple mat to a rock. I think they're just about the esaiset thing to propagate

jimroth
08/31/2002, 12:51 PM
For me almost any size has worked, even pieces of the base (coechyme?) with NO polyps!
It spreads faster if it has enough (but not too much;) ) light.

ReeferMac
09/02/2002, 08:04 AM
I use old clam shells...

I make my own fish food, and regularly include a dozen or two of the Little neck clams into the mix (any sort of shellfish should work however). When After removing all of the meat for my mix, I toss the clam shells in my refugium, so that the bristle worms and bugs can pick them clean. Takes a couple days, but the shells are spotless when they're done. If you have a sump or DSB in your reef tank, that will work fine too.
Once the shells are clean, I arrange them in a circle around the colony of Star Polyps I have, making sure that it's touching, or leaning up against it slightly. You want to make contact w/ the coral. After a few weeks, the coral has naturally grown onto the shell, usually covering half of it. Then I rip the shell away from the colony, and give it a few more weeks to grow out on another spot on my sandbed. The shell's completely covered in a few months, and makes a nice, easy piece to trade or bring to the LFS.

- Mac

Totlxtc
09/02/2002, 08:19 AM
I leave the mother colony on the sandbed. Then they will start growing over the top of the sand. Once i get enough growth i remove the rock and trim off the part that grew on the sand. This way saves trying to cut it free from the rocks. Then i glue them to small rock chunks and let them completely cover the rock before taking to the store.

Totlxtc
09/02/2002, 08:19 AM
I leave the mother colony on the sandbed. Then they will start growing over the top of the sand. Once i get enough growth i remove the rock and trim off the part that grew on the sand. This way saves trying to cut it free from the rocks. Then i glue them to small rock chunks and let them completely cover the rock before taking to the store.

Here's the lastest batch.