PDA

View Full Version : Baby Bangaii Cardinals I may be having some too:) Question for Tim

David MC Lee
08/22/2002, 07:29 PM
Tim:
I think my male Bangaii is carring eggs. When the male spits them out does he do it at a certain time of day? My cleaner shrimp always do it about an hour after the lights go out. He has not been eating for at least the last two days.

hcs3
08/22/2002, 07:50 PM
david

mine spit the fry during the night.

i usually was able to know which night ahead of time he would spit them, and would beat him to the punch. i would net him while he had a mouthful of eggs. the result was him spiting out all the fry at once, into my waiting fry tank. then, i would capture him from the fry tank and place him back into the display. i found it easier to catch one fish, rather than 25 +. FWIW, my first brood numbered 50. after that he never carried more then 25.

HTH

henry

ReefMD
08/23/2002, 11:55 AM
David,
I usually catch my male around day 21 and transfer him to my rearing tank. He spits the babies out any time of the day that he wants. I just watch him closely and when his mouth seems empty I transfer him to the "fattening-up" tank. I keep him there for two to three weeks before putting him back in with the female.
Remember to transfer him in a bowl or some other vessel. If you don't he will spit out the eggs/babies into the net and all will be lost.
Good Luck!!!!!!!

Tim

David MC Lee
08/23/2002, 05:40 PM
Well I will try to catch him. He had an over flowing mouth full of eggs this morning. So I need to catch him with in the next 21 days. I'm almost have my other two coral grow out tanks setup, hope to have it done this weekend, this will make a total of four 20"X43". He will be able to have a whole tank to him self for a while. I will have to try to find a good way to get him without a net. My reef too full of live rock.

hcs3
08/23/2002, 05:45 PM
david

i don't recommend catching the male until the fry are fully developed. you will be easily able to see the little bangers swimming in the males mouth. that is when you catch him. if you attempt it prior to the eggs developing, he may abort them and that would be unfortunite. wait until the fry are fully developed.

HTH

henry

David MC Lee
08/23/2002, 05:48 PM
Ok thanks. They are about the size of a BB right now. I just looked over at him, he can't keep them all in his mouth:)