PDA

View Full Version : Mini Bow 7 with 14 watts. Any shrooms or Polyps ok?

Peabody
08/22/2002, 03:45 PM
Hi all,

I'm interested in doing a really cheap desktop tank. If I pick up a mini-bow 7 and don't retrofit any lights, will any mushrooms or polyps be fine under the original lights? I was hoping to do 1 fish, a feather duster or 2, and a few polyps/shrooms.

Is this OK? What do you think?

yrureefing
08/22/2002, 03:56 PM
First of all. A minibow 7 isn't cheap compared to a standard 5.5 or 10. So if you get a 5.5 the money you save on 7 minibow you could buy cheap pc's. Remember that featherduster's need phytoplankton or they will starve.

The Unit
08/22/2002, 05:13 PM
I AGREE ....i say get he 5.5 for under$10 [well even the ten would be under $10] and slap in a 32w retro for $50 and i have a better tank to start off with...minibowls are what $60 now or something like that....

Exocet
08/25/2002, 01:34 PM
When I first got my minibow, It ran for a few months with the default lights. Everything thrived, and coralline really took off.

So, to answer your original questions. YES!

As long as you stick to shrooms and other softies, you should have no problems.

susieQ
08/29/2002, 05:14 PM
I bought an Eclipse 6 (bowfront) at a yard sale for $5. I know I wouldn't have paid $60 new for it...you have to retrofit just about everything. I got additional lighting mounted on the wall, removed the filter which sat on top of the brace, added a hangon filter, etc. I would go with the other options here instead of paying that amount of money, as I don't know you'd be happy with the end result.
I add an 18w light to the 9w in the hood of the Eclipse. With this amount of light I am keeping 'shrooms, 2 leathers and gorgonian. I had to move the button polyps back to my 62g reef tank because they wouldn't open.
Also, and probably pretty important, the lighting with the Eclipse 6 was pretty yellow and didn't make the tank look too great. If I get some time, I'll post some pictures for ya.
Susie

Exocet
08/29/2002, 05:21 PM
The Eclipse 6 is much different than the AGA 7 gallon Mini-bow.

To name a few differences, the AGA is glass, not acrylic. Comes with a mini stand, and a full hood, with flourescent lighting.

I agree with you though, the Eclipse 6 is not even close to being worth $60 bucks. I would disagree on the AGA Mini-bow though. I feel it is definitely worth $60. I got mine, missing an internal corner silicone bead, for $35. I added the bead myself, but even full price, it would be well worth the cost!! IMHO.

susieQ
08/29/2002, 05:32 PM
Hmmm, learn something new everyday. I actually wasn't in the market for a nano but the Eclipse was so cheap, I got it. Since I wasn't looking for a nano I never did any research on them. I didn't know there were big differences amongst them.
Did you have to add any additional lighting to your tank?

Susie

Peabody
08/29/2002, 06:09 PM
Hi folks,
My original plans have changed. I had an old Eclipse 12, ripped out all the old lighting stuff, and screwed a CSL 32 watt Smartlite into it. I butchered the original acrylic cover to make it cover the endcap of the Smartlite Bulb and the first 6 inches of the bulb. AM trying to think of a way to cover the rest. Any ideas?

Exocet
08/30/2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by susieQ
Did you have to add any additional lighting to your tank?

Susie

I ran it for 4 months with the 14watt flourestcent it came with. But eventually, I did upgrade to the CSL 32watt Supernova.

Very happy with the results!