PDA

View Full Version : Store Tour

sulcata1619
03/28/2007, 06:50 AM
Hey all, Jeff and I and our wives went to San Jose on Sunday to pick up my chiller. After that we stopped by a few stores on the way home.
In Milpitas, we stopped off at Aquatic Gallery. They had alot of cool stuff. Many corals to choose from. Jeff picked up a Tiger stripe Derasa. The walkways were very small and always had to let people pass by while you were trying to look in the tanks. They had a ton of fish buit they were all in their display tanks and weren't for sale. Overall it was a good store for corals and clams.
Next we went to Ocean Treasures. By far the nicest and cleanest store I have been to. They had lots of fish to choose from and their prices were awesome. Lots of clams to choose from and the coral selection was great. I picked up some Bangai Cardinals and a few other fish.
Last store we went to was Aquatic Central. They had more fresh water than anything else. I picked up a 2" Tiger stripe Derasa for $25 and Jeff got a Coral Beauty for $20. They had a good selection of corals but nothing extraordinary. They do sales throughout the store on Saturdays but no club discount at all. It was a good store to check in on every now and then.
It was a long day but it was a fun trip. I got my chiller used from a guy in San Jose. $540 for a 1/3 JBJ. Almost brand new!
OK hopefully nobody fell asleep. See you at the next meeting, Mike

northbay-reefer
03/28/2007, 10:26 AM
Mike, how is the sps collection at Ocean treasure ? I will be going to Union square this weekend, if they have sps I might stop by

How do you get there anyway ?

jamesgang
03/28/2007, 11:47 AM
I really liked Ocean Treasures when I took my wife there last week. I'll be doing most of my big purchases from there, although thier anemone prices were a little high, even with the Reefers discount.

I don't know who as been to Fish Fish and More Fish, but they a really good quality, although low quantity, stuff and can usually fill and order in less than a week. Very good quality selections and prices are very good also.
There was also a huge fish store in Hayward that moved to the Dublin-Pleasenton area and got even bigger, I can't remember the name.

For overall store satisfaction Ocean Treasures is the nicest I've been in.

crispyreef
03/28/2007, 11:52 AM
I second that about Ocean Treasures. I was impressed with there sps selection and the tanks they keep them in. The store was also very clean and the people were helpfull.

sulcata1619
03/28/2007, 10:15 PM
Yes Tom They have a very nice selection of sps. They will have one hell of a frag station in about six months I'd say. I think it will be close to 500 gallons. The best way to get there is to googlemap it. They are on Duboce and we were coming from San Jose, so I couldn't even begin to give you directions from here. I will be going back in two weekends or so. I have a huge piece of frog spawn and a big piece of neon green hammer to trade in for credit. Most of the LPS and all softies but one are going bye bye.

northbay-reefer
03/29/2007, 09:53 AM
They do give store credit for corals ? I have some stuff in my fuge to get rid off, also have some live rocks to sell back. Do I have to let them know ahead of time ?

sulcata1619
03/29/2007, 10:48 PM
I would call and let them know.

northbay-reefer
04/02/2007, 10:43 AM
I went to Ocean treasure on Sat. the store was very clean and beautiful, they did a great job on the set up. The filtration system down stair was awsome. It gave me some ideas :D :D

Fish selection was good, prices on fishes were ok, some were reasonable and some were high. Rent in Sanfran is high so the price usualy reflect that.

Clams selection is limited, but all the clams were beautiful, I picked up a nice squamosa for a reasonable price.

SPS selections were limited since they are new. Prices on SPS were very high, I bought a frag without first checking on the price and was sticker shocked when I got the total, but bought it anyway. The frag has redbugs on them, Jason bought the same thing and his got Red bugs too so he was over at my house last night getting interceptor :D you will definitely need interceptor if you are buying from Ocean treasure, I hope they dont have sps eating flat worms. Currently I dont see any sps quaranteen tank at the facility so its looking risky at this point.

The 3 corals tank have surge tank attached to them creating a cool effect. Love the layout of the store.

Overall, this is a must visit store, just becarefull to inspect any sps you buy, and dip dip dip.