PDA

View Full Version : Clams in 10g???

NewMariner
08/20/2002, 05:44 PM
I think Im about to start up a 10g Nano.....Not my first sw tank...not my last either....but my first attempt at a nano...anyway, I want to keep some clams...is it possible to keep some without MH in a Nano? What type of lighting would ya'll suggest that will be enough for some SPS? Any other equipment I should get? I have the 10g tank...a heater...a HOB filter with no media(just used as circulation mainly) and a few powerheads....a bucket(for water changes and I know havin a nano depends on water changes). Thanks.

Tony

yrureefing
08/20/2002, 05:54 PM
If you really don't want mh and you want clams n' sps in a 10g get 2x55w pc's. Obviously mh is best but you could still do sps n' clams with that lighting. But you probably know more than me about reefing and you know you won't have the best color and growth rates. Oh 55w pc's will hang off the sides alittle(an inch off each side) but it is worth the extra light over 36w pc's.

cuban _fish
08/20/2002, 07:45 PM
I don't like the idea with the tridacna clams in a 10 gal. tank. You could keep others such as the flame scallop(I like them and I am getting one soon). Tridacnid clams get too big for the tank and I wouldn't keep one in anything else but halides or anything better. You got to know that these guys are starting to come back from the endagered list and should be treated with respect(just like everything else in the ocean).But if you were taking my advice I would not get it.

Alex

reefinready
08/20/2002, 08:54 PM
i agree with cuban_fish! save the clam bigger tank and halides. i just recently asked the same question on a previous post in the clam forum.

yrureefing
08/20/2002, 09:09 PM
I never said it was the best thing to do but I think it can be done and pretty succesfully. He asked if it was possible and I said it was. Don't get me wrong I think halides are awesome. I plan on getting them on my 15g nano.

NewMariner
08/20/2002, 09:12 PM
Forgive me as Ive never had a clam before....but how fast does one grow? I will upgrade to a larger tank...within this next year...clams dont grow that fast do they??

yrureefing
08/20/2002, 09:24 PM
I am not sure about how fast they grow. But really it depends on the system they are in. If they have strong halides,good amount of feeding and alot of calcium they could grow pretty fast. But in a nano withs pc's you will be fine for a year.

reefinready
08/20/2002, 09:33 PM
Sure clams can survive in a ten gallon but another thing to consider in smaller tanks your "chemistry" is fluctuating a lot more than in a bigger tank. clams are sensitive to water conditions and if something happens even a small spike your clam will be in trouble. you might want to ask this question in the clam forum the people there mught not check all of RC and are very informative. clams need food on a regular bases. i would suggest DT's and dosing this in a ten gallon often just isent going to work with the amounts of water changes etc. read some coral books and make sure before you do this i wouldnt.

yrureefing
08/20/2002, 10:01 PM
Toptank(bary at clamsdirect) suggests putting baby clams in a container with tankwater. You add the dt's till the water has a green tint and take the clam out when the water is clear. This would be good to do in a nano if you are scared about the excess nutrients. But if you are moderatly to heavily stocked then I don't think you will have a problem with dt's.

yrureefing
08/21/2002, 08:11 AM
Here is a link to a thread in nano-reef.com. THis 10g nano has 2x28w pc's and it has a clam and a bunch of very nice sps.
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2511

Carlos
08/21/2002, 11:23 AM
I would not keep a clan in a 10 gal tank without MH or without a fuge of some sort. I would definitely not keep a flame scallop in any tank I have regardless of filtration or anything.

Flame scallops do not do well in captivity as the food they require is not available in our tanks. Please, stay away from those scallops.

JMHO.

Carlos

NanoReefer53
08/21/2002, 11:31 AM
A squamosa clams can easily live under 2x36. They smaller ones will just need a lot more feedings. Lighting isn't everything though when it comes to SPS and clams. From research that i've read, light only makes up for 40% of the energy that corals use. The rest come from feedings. The other part that is important is water quality. Some slight fluxes and a whole SPS colony could bleach within hours ( i know from experience ) .

New Mariner-
Just go for 2x36 watt PC bulbs. Go to Pet Supply Liquidator (http://www.petsupplyliquidator.com/catalog147_0.html) . They have a nice deal for $40 which include the ballast and 2 bulbs. You'll just have to install them into a canopy with a reflector. As for SPS corals under that lighting, u can get growth but probably not any good colors. I had a montipora cap. that was growing like crazy under a single 55w in a 20g but only until i upgraded to a 250w 10k did it turn into a green color. Green bali acros would also do ok under this lighting.

reefinready
08/21/2002, 12:36 PM
The other part that is important is water quality. Some slight fluxes and a whole SPS colony could bleach within hours ( i know from experience ) .

if you get a clam fluxes can occur easily in a 10 gallon.(not good for clam)

yrureefing
08/22/2002, 06:24 AM
NewMariner, you stole NanoReefins avatar:p I think your original one suits you better.