PDA

View Full Version : Reef Club Dive Trip

downdeep
08/19/2002, 03:09 PM
I'm just wondering how many of the members are certified divers and if there would be a few people interested in organizing a "Reef club dive trip". I know of a couple of decent size boats in the St. Pete area that can take about 16 divers. Any one interested in getting something like this together? Would be nice to do it before the water gets chilly again.
Bryan

Passionfish
08/26/2002, 01:31 PM
Regan and I will seldom turn down a chance to dive, unless I am on call. Would be fun to think about WPB or even chartering a liveaboard.Deborah

luminary
08/26/2002, 06:15 PM
Jen and I are definitely in...the sooner the better :)

mustangsv0
08/26/2002, 06:17 PM
what's the process of getting certified? i want to go diving.

luminary
08/26/2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by mustangsv0
what's the process of getting certified? i want to go diving.

First thing is pick one of the 6 million dive shops in Florida :). If you've got any friends that are cert'ed, ask them where they went and what they thought. Personally, I prefer the certification on the east coast of Florida as it seems like all the dive shops here do the check out dives in the springs. I feel that if you're going to be diving in Florida, your checkout dives should be off of boats and hit at least 35-40 feet. Jen was certified up at Ginnie springs and her deepest dive was like 18 feet. And they went off a dock. Not typical diving conditions here and because of it she was MUCH more nervous for her first boat dive than she should have been.

Anyway...you're looking at anywhere from $100-$200 to get certified. Try and find a shop that's doing a special. End of the summer is a good time because alot of shops are trying to fill classes. Only downside is if you do the dives during lobster season, be sure that the instructor is going to be paying more attention to the class than to catching bugs.

You will need to pay for the classes, your book, the checkout dives (4 dives), and basic gear. Basic gear includes mask, fins, booties, snorkel and possibly weight belt and wetsuit. Don't worry about getting any other gear at first.

When I got Jen certified last year it came to about $650 for certification, dives and all the basic gear (which included a $220 6.5 mil wetsuit). Most places will give you a good deal on gear if you're getting certified at the same time. I think the place gave Jen like %25 off since she did the certification too.

You may or may not need a wetsuit depending on how sensitive you are to the cold. I dive without one down to about 74 degs. In the gulf in November I'm fine with a 3 mil shorty.

downdeep
08/26/2002, 07:55 PM
If we can get enough people to fill a boat (which I believe takes 16), I think we would have a great time. I know there has to be at least that many divers, or some bubble watchers that would be interested. I'd like to set it up for sometime in the next month or two so that the water is still warm for all us non-wetsuit wearing divers. If there is some interest, I'll call the boat capn tomorrow and find out about a group rate.
The dive shop/charter co. that I'm thinking of is over on treasure Island. Its pretty easy to get to and run by a good group of people.
Bryan

snrumph
08/26/2002, 08:59 PM
I know this was already partly answered and this may not be the forum, but I'll prod further. Can anyone recommend a good place to get certified in the st. pete/tampa area? we've only been in florida for three months - just now getting settled really - and learning to dive is a definite on our must do list. just not sure where to begin.... thanks, chris

luminary
08/26/2002, 09:10 PM
I've done a bit of diving through Mac's (http://www.macssports.com) and their divemasters have always seemed pretty good. Like I said above though...try and find a place that will do your certification dives off a boat. It will make you much more comfortable when you begin diving.

A few people have recommended Divers Supply as well (I think Gregt said he got cert'ed there).

mustangsv0
08/27/2002, 01:06 AM
for this dive trip, can i just come along and stay up top? just go for a short swim or what not?? or will it not be worth it?

victor.

luminary
08/27/2002, 07:45 AM
It'll depend on where we dive...Many of the dives in the Gulf are not really visible from the surface. Even if the dive is only 35-40 feet, the visibility is generally only 15 feet or so. If we end up going somewhere that is worthwhile from the surface, there's no reason why you couldn't come with us.

Passionfish
08/27/2002, 12:28 PM
Regan and I really like Action Aquatics on Gandy Blvd in South Tampa. Small place, very personable, good prices. Count us in for any diving!!!! I just need to not be on call. VICTOR, or anyone else for that matter, who would like to just come boating, give us a call. We also have some extra snorkle equipment if someone needs to borrow.

mustangsv0
08/28/2002, 03:59 PM
deborah,
i'd love to go out on the boat sometime. maybe when i come in town next time to visit, i'll give you a call.

matt,
just let me know where your going and if it's worth my time. i'll be there.

victor.

downdeep
08/29/2002, 04:57 PM
Most charter boats have what they call a "bubble watcher" price. someone that doesn't dive, just watches bubbles from up top, and its usually not all that expensive.
I've been without internet connection for the last few days, but I'm going to try and call the charter company and see about prices and all that stuff. If anyone has any good Ideas or places to go, speak up!! This place is on treasure Island and leaves out of John's pass. Is that a problem for anyone?
Bryan

Passionfish
08/30/2002, 08:27 AM
Sounds great. We could also try diving from my boat, especially since we have a bubble watcher! although we could only do six people at the most!