PDA

View Full Version : Fish stores in eastern Kentucky south of Lex.

jmccown
03/21/2007, 11:57 AM
We already have a thread for lexington LFS'. But does anyone know of any LFS' that sells swf/corals around Pike County or neighboring counties? We have one store here in Pike Co. called Kritter Kastle, but it is scary to buy anything from there. Seriously. It is so nasty, stinks. Their SW tanks are plagued with red algae. They just use UG filters only on all of their tanks, no skimmers, so go figure. The closest LFS in Ky to me is Berts' and he is almost 2 hours away from me. Then it is 2 hours the other way to go to Fuji's or Jomar's. I am about 3 hours from lexington. Just wondering if there are any decent 'undiscovered' pet stores that might be any closer to me. I keep saying one day I'll just put my own LFS in. It would boom in this area for sure. But that's another story altogether.

CorbetJackson50
03/21/2007, 01:47 PM
Adventure Pets in Berea is real nice but that is almost all the way to lexington

KYyada
03/21/2007, 02:32 PM
There is a guy in Corbin, Castle Pets that has some good live rock. He will tell you he doesn't know much but I think when he does learn a little more it will be a good place to buy stuff. His rock is Caribbean and is loaded with life. It needs to be checked though I found Aptasia on it but killed it right off, mine is a new tank anyway.... I found a crab probably good but tossed it too. It has sponges, two types of coral on it, I got two with bivalves, a limpet, Brittle star, tons of pods and worms and completely covered in coralline algae....6.99

jmccown
03/21/2007, 02:35 PM
do either of these stores carry nice fish?

KYyada
03/21/2007, 02:39 PM
There is a guy in Corbin, Castle Pets that has some good live rock. He will tell you he doesn't know much but I think when he does learn a little more it will be a good place to buy stuff. His rock is Caribbean and is loaded with life. It needs to be checked though I found Aptasia on it but killed it right off, mine is a new tank anyway.... I found a crab probably good but tossed it too. It has sponges, two types of coral on it, I got two with bivalves, a limpet, Brittle star, tons of pods and worms and completely covered in coralline algae....6.99

KYyada
03/21/2007, 02:45 PM
Sorry about the double post I'm bad for hitting the back button. He had some but I would call and ask him what he has, they seemed real healthy. When I was there (middle of Jan) his tanks looked pretty clean. Tri county aquarium is on 25 between London and Corbin.

CorbetJackson50
03/21/2007, 06:16 PM
adventure pets always has lots of nice fish for cheap.

crabfan
03/21/2007, 08:24 PM
Thanks guys.

I pass through the London area every once in a while, and had never heard of Adventure@Berea or Castle@Corbin. Next time I'm through there, I'll stop by and check them out!

KYyada
03/21/2007, 10:23 PM
I'm not positive but I think his parents use to have Adventure Pets in Hazard. They were nice people and she kept quite a few corals.....They closed the last of Jan. What a shame too. I believe in supporting local people so they can stay in business. Maybe this group can keep that from happening again since most people never knew they were even there.

crabfan
03/21/2007, 10:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9537109#post9537109 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KYyada
I believe in supporting local people so they can stay in business.

Absolutely.

I'd guess things were a lot easier before there was a Wal-Mart on every corner to compete with.