PDA

View Full Version : My 9 Gallon Nanowave

topshotta
03/21/2007, 11:38 AM
I started a little blog of my 9 gallon nanowave. Have a look and feel free to comment.

9 Gallon Nanowave (http://reefaquaria.davidmaki.net/)

tk1360
03/21/2007, 12:12 PM
looking good. Nice zoo frags. What fish are you thinking of adding? You don't have much volume so you gotta be picky. lol.

Jocool
03/21/2007, 12:25 PM
Nice, I happen to have a nano wave as well in my study. Its a great small tank, the built in skimmer is so nice! I put about 5 to 6 LBS of live rock, some chelto, as well as some live sand in the rear refuge chamber. Depending on how warm your house is, you may want to add a small heater. I took out the long blue sponge and put a small submersival heater in the first compartment then I cut the sponge about 2/3 off and just use to cover the vent slots. Btw gorgious Zoos.

topshotta
03/21/2007, 07:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9531863#post9531863 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tk1360
looking good. Nice zoo frags. What fish are you thinking of adding? You don't have much volume so you gotta be picky. lol.

I picked up 2 very small percula clownfish - they are very much babies. I know down the road they will outgrow it, but for now they are fine.

topshotta
03/21/2007, 07:26 PM
Jocool - I can't seem to get the skimmer tuned in - The collection cup seems to fill up with dirty water very fast. I empty it in the morning as it's completely full with dirty water and going back into the tank nonetheless and when I get home it's the same thing all over again. Any suggestions? How do you have the inlet where the water gets pumped into the chamber setup? Mine is only about 1/4 open. I've tried opening it up more and I get bubbles galore out of the intake.

Jocool
03/21/2007, 08:10 PM
Hey, get used to emptying that collection cup once in the morning, before work and once before bedtime.

2 things about the skimmer.

1) Its great to realize that it works and that it's pulling sh.t out of the tank.

2) I just barely set the collection cup on top of the skimmer, after all the practice of doing it you'll get the hang of putting it on. This way it collects at a slower rate than pushing the cup all the way down. There have been days where I'll go one day and night with it only half full but, most of the time, it the twice a day routine.

Like I said get used to the twice a day ritual.

Oh, btw try takeing a 2 to 3 in piece of hose and a double male connect that way you can put the connect in the one end and then put the 2 to 3 inch hose on the other then put an airstone to quite the noise. The mod works like a dream.

keekthesneek
03/22/2007, 10:19 AM
i have one of those nano9 from salty critter as well an i cant seem to get the water to clear up have you had any problems with green water

Jocool
03/22/2007, 10:28 AM
Sorry to hear that, green water can be caused by a number of things.

topshotta
03/28/2007, 10:36 PM
This past weekend I went to a frag swap here in Cleveland - picked up a few things:

FTS:
http://www.davidmaki.net/images/nano/32807_a.jpg

Button Polyps:
http://www.davidmaki.net/images/nano/32807_b.jpg

Orange Ricordea:
http://www.davidmaki.net/images/nano/32807_c.jpg

Zoo Colony and Emerald Crab:
http://www.davidmaki.net/images/nano/32807_d.jpg

Mojo Jojo
03/29/2007, 12:06 AM
I like it:D

CamBarr
03/29/2007, 10:27 AM
great tank

Tex007
03/30/2007, 06:27 PM
sweet

Jocool
03/30/2007, 09:20 PM
Hey beautifull tank !! About your lighting, you mean 2x 24 watt bulbs?? Not 48 watt bulbs or were you meaning 48 total??

topshotta
03/31/2007, 11:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9611087#post9611087 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jocool
Hey beautifull tank !! About your lighting, you mean 2x 24 watt bulbs?? Not 48 watt bulbs or were you meaning 48 total??

I just made an edit to that post - I meant a total of 48 watts.

Let's see a pic of your nanowave! I'm curious as to what others are doing in such a small amount of space.

I actually just rearranged everything in my tank. After getting all these new frags this past weekend it looked to 'thrown togehter'. I'll take some pics when the tank settles a bit.

topshotta
03/31/2007, 11:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9540097#post9540097 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by keekthesneek
i have one of those nano9 from salty critter as well an i cant seem to get the water to clear up have you had any problems with green water

I've not had any problems with green water - the only problem I've had with it is the skimmer. I know Jocool seems to have his dialed in, but I can't accomplish that. All mine does is fill up with water 2x a day - nothing sludgy like I'd expect from a skimmer. I've actually been running skimmerless for the past week. I'm going to do weekly 1-2 gallon water changes now instead and see what that does for me.

badmintonfreak
03/31/2007, 12:59 PM
Hey, I also have a nanowave, and had that same problem. What
I did was get the venturi thing that comes with aquaclear powerheads, and used that. The top adjuster thing lets you turn it so you get a varied amount of bubbles. This has helped me control this problem.

topshotta
03/31/2007, 02:20 PM
Yeah - Salty Critter gave me a valve to replace the gray venturi that came standard. It helped some, but I'm still pulling water mostly.

Jocool
04/01/2007, 12:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9614540#post9614540 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by topshotta
I just made an edit to that post - I meant a total of 48 watts.

Let's see a pic of your nanowave! I'm curious as to what others are doing in such a small amount of space.

I actually just rearranged everything in my tank. After getting all these new frags this past weekend it looked to 'thrown togehter'. I'll take some pics when the tank settles a bit.

Ya, I'm going to Best Buy tomarrow to look at cameras for various reasons, one being posting pics of my tank. We will see.

=)

edwing206
04/01/2007, 01:00 AM
That a very cool nano tank.

Jocool
04/01/2007, 01:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9614571#post9614571 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by topshotta
I've not had any problems with green water - the only problem I've had with it is the skimmer. I know Jocool seems to have his dialed in, but I can't accomplish that. All mine does is fill up with water 2x a day - nothing sludgy like I'd expect from a skimmer. I've actually been running skimmerless for the past week. I'm going to do weekly 1-2 gallon water changes now instead and see what that does for me.

Huh, Sorry your skimmer is giving ya sucha headache, it's funny I actually turned mine up full blast and it wont pull anything at all???? HUH!!!

On water changes I do 2 gallons every Saturday.