PDA

View Full Version : Green Mandarin in 40 gallons

CaptNemo
03/20/2007, 08:29 PM
hi guys, i am in the process of upgrading my tank.
i have to choose one of the two tank
1) Oceanic 37 gallons
2) Oceanic 40 gallons stretch hex

anyway, i already have a mated pair of clown fishes (true perc)
I really want a Green Mandarin and i am plan on putting one in. of course i have to wait couple month for the new tank to mature.

is it doable?
if i put one in, how often do i have to buy pod for it? or not at all.

i will have a good amount of live rock in this tank but no sump or refugium.

advise, suggestions, criticism are all welcome

thanks.

herostar
03/20/2007, 09:09 PM
Make sure you don't put one in there for at least 4 months to make sure that there is a good pod population. Also make sure you have alot of live rock with lots of little caves/crevices. You best bet for long term success is trying to get him on some kind of food besides pods, like frozen food or something.

nYgel
03/20/2007, 09:15 PM
you can do alot of things to help it.... you can take a HOB filter and take the cartridge filter out and replace it with live rock, chaeto, and put a light above it and have a mini-refuge, or even put a large soap dish in your tank full of chaeto, also, make alot of rock rubble pills where the mandarin can't get to. And of course, try to get it on frozen. I do all this (except HOB refuge, thats for a different tank) in a 29g with 2 dragonets, 1 has been great for 11 months i belive, the mandarin about.... 4

kool-cat
03/20/2007, 09:31 PM
Mandarins require a lot of live rock >72pounds. All they do is hunt all day. If your lucky you can find one that eats prepared foods. You may also need a refugium to support one of these fish.