PDA

View Full Version : nano reef. suggestions?10 gallon pics included

Kengaroo131
03/20/2007, 08:10 PM
Hello im ken and i'v been doing freshwater for about 12 years and really always wanted a saltwater tank.i dont know to much about it but i'v done alotttt of reading and have an idea of what i have to do. but if i can get any suggestion on setups or what i should put in there that would be awesome. there has been a brownish type algae groing in the tank quite a bit theres a new layer evey day i'v been cleaning it every day and i dont know where its all coming from. i do have about 13 lbs of live rock in there a cleaner shrimp a scooter blennie 3 turbo snails and 2 small blue leg hurmit crabs. for lights i have the coralife single line system with the 50/50 bulb. i have the nano fission protein skimmer but its not doing much skimming:confused: (no foam production) i contructed a small power head which is adjustible flow.if i can get any typt of input on what you think i should do to make it better that would be great. here are some pictures.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/Kenjamin009/100_5270.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/Kenjamin009/100_5260.jpg

Illuminati
03/20/2007, 08:48 PM
The brown algae is called diatoms, totally 100% natural for a new tank. Cernith snails do a good job on it if your LFS has them, also once you get into your weekly water changes it will clear up.

The fission is a piece of junk. Lots of threads on here from unhappy people that have bought that. Time to look for a better option and make that a paperweight :)

Kengaroo131
03/20/2007, 08:53 PM
thanks a million the algae had me worried ha should that go away after a wile? and i totaly agree on the protien skimmer haha any suggestions for a protien skimmer?

Agu
03/20/2007, 08:54 PM
Let the tank mature for a while and don't add any more livestock. The diatoms and bubbles on the rock indicate your tank isn't ready yet.

Kengaroo131
03/20/2007, 08:55 PM
ooh ok should the bubbles go away with the algae? then when thats over should i wait a little longer?