PDA

View Full Version : Custom Nano Tank. Will this work???

gavij012379
03/20/2007, 12:34 AM
Hi

I am thinking of ordering a custom tank. It will be 25 X 25 X 18(high) with a 5 X 5 overflow in the center. This way I will have about 10 inches on each side and the tank will be viewable from all side. I actually wanted it to be a round tank but I figure it will cost a lot more than square. Also I am thinking of making my own canopy and stand to save cost which will be easier if it is square. I am definately not a good carpenter.

The only problem I see is with lighting. I definately want MH at least on one of the four side, which will probably have more SPS in the future and be the show side. I am thinking of putting either 36 or 55 watt pc on the other 3 sides. The metal halide side will be lot brighter than the other side this way. I am afraid if it will look odd this way and I will have to go all metal halide or pc. I definately want MH but I am afraid if I can afford the extra cost and electric bill if I put 4 MH bulbs.

I had a 100 gallon tank which I had to sell when I moved to Texas. I spend a lot of money in that and I thought I was done with this hobby till I am done with my study to save money but I can't stop thinking about getting a tank. So I am asking for your suggestion so I get it right the first time and don't spend more than I have to. I like this setup because the tank is quite big too and will give a lot of freedom in aquascaping. And it will have natural different intensity light zone to put the corals and the fishes don't have to see each other all the time so less aggressiveness. I plan to put 2 percula clown, 1 flame angel, a small wrasse(exquisite wrasse, if i can get my hands on it), some chromis and maybe a yellow tang for my wife. Please feel free to give any feedback and any other drawback I missed with this setup.

Sorry for the length and thanks a lot for sharing ur thoughts.

tonkadawg
03/20/2007, 06:44 AM
A single MH bulb will cover approximately 24"x24". With that in mind, I'd just run a single 150 or 250 hqi with maybe a 14k or a 20k bulb. Depending on the pendant you choose and your canopy, you may not have enough room for supplemental lighting. Just be careful, MH pendants put off some heat! When you design your canopy, you should also incorporate some fans to help with cooling.

gavij012379
03/20/2007, 06:57 AM
I think there has been a slight confusion. I am planning to put the overflow right in the center so the tank is viewable from all sides.

jjmg
03/20/2007, 07:05 AM
This design would not give you much room for rock on any one side of the overflow; just 10" between the glass and the overflow on any side. It would make stacking the rock very difficult.

One MH directly over the center of the tank may light it enough but I think the overflow would cause shadows that would prevent the light from reaching the corals that I would assume would mostly be on the rock stacked against the overflow.

I think I would move the overflow to the center of one side of the tank and have viewing from 3 sides. I believe this would give you many more options for lighting as well as stacking rock.

tonkadawg
03/20/2007, 07:14 AM
oh yeah, I didn't catch that.

I agree with jjmg - that design will be very hard to stack your rock and would also cause shadows.

I also agree with the suggestion to move the overflow to one side of the tank.

gavij012379
03/20/2007, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been thinking about that too. But I am tired of the regular tank. And I think it will be better for the fish. I know this setup will work for a larger tank. If only I could afford a 40 X 40 ..........but I am still in an apt. LOL

tonkadawg
03/20/2007, 07:29 AM
Why not run t5s? I believe the shortest they have is 24" - you might have to make your canopy a little bigger to fit the end caps, but on all 4 sides you fit probably 2 bulbs - maybe a 10K and blue+ or something? That should allow you to keep sps and clams. I'd still add fans, but heat won't be anywhere near MH and shadows won't be an issue. So if you are fine with 10" to set up your rock work, that's how I'd do it.

gavij012379
03/20/2007, 09:31 AM
yes that's true but I have never used or even seen T-5 and it doesn't have the shimmer of MH. So I think I will just go with a JBJ nano cube or a Bio cube like everyone else. And hope I won't be longing for a bigger tank in 2 months.

The only thing with this is it is so damn small and you can't have things your way. Too much fuss to change small stuff. I had a 10 gallon with 110 watts and it was no problem to install it on a hood I made myself. But with these tank there is not much I can do. Too bad we don't have bigger reef ready cube from JBJ or oceanic. And it costs a bunch to have it custom.