PDA

View Full Version : my filtration debate:

Cowman345
08/17/2002, 10:45 PM
I've run into a dillema and need some opinions.

I have a refugium behind my 15 gal tank. It happens to fit a Marineland biowheel 60 filter very nicely. however, if i have a biowheel, I don't have room for my refugium light, nor will i have room to get my hands in there to harvest any macro algae.

After reading that a DSB will function with surface area at least 150 square inches, I've decided to add a 4" sand bed.

Now, my dillema is that I don't know whether to use the filter, or go with a refugium... what's your opinion?

-dave-

P.S. here is the background for my tank:

I've started my 15 gal tank, and have screwed up already. since I was using all pre-established tank water, lots of live rock and sand, I put my three fish and all my crabs and snails into this new tank thinking it wouldn't cycle again. it did. killed my three fish, some worms, and some crabs.

it's about a week since then, and i've done a 100% water change, and my ammonia is down to 1.5ppm from around 6 or 7 ppm. nitrites and nitrates are both near zero.

i worry that i do not have enough biological filtration with my new 4" sandbed and minimal (maybe 10 lbs) live rock.

skylsdale
08/19/2002, 12:22 PM
I would ditch the DSB and add more LR, since they both are used for pretty much the same purpose in filtration. I'm still not sold on how much of a place DSB's have in the nano world, especially since most people don't have actual DSB's in their tanks (around 5-6" of sand.) THis link may interest you and help you decide if the "DSB" is really worth it...although we didn't seem to come to any solid conclusions in the thread, either: http://www.aqualinkwebforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=47;t=000360

The Unit
08/22/2002, 05:25 PM
loose the hob filter.....it is a waste of your time and money

Cowman345
08/22/2002, 09:59 PM
here's an update:

i'm going without the filter... as suggested.

added more live rock to my 15 gal for a total of maybe 12-14 lbs so far... i have about a 3-4" sandbed now.

Ammonia still hanging STEADILY at 1.5-2ppm. it's been this way for the past week and a half.

added a little Cycle, noticed no change in anything.

everything is covered in slimy brownish-green stuff (not cyano) giving the tank an ugly greenish hue. diatom burst?

most of my hermits and snails are dormant... alive, but not moving (for days at a time).

-dave-