PDA

View Full Version : Looking into the hobby

NateT
03/18/2007, 05:21 PM
I was wondering which is the easiest way to start out. Like what tank size would be easiest to maintain. Whether to go with FO or FOWLR. I also need some help with what kind of lighting would be best and what equipment is needed. Please post on any of these topics.

moze229
03/18/2007, 05:35 PM
I would start with a lot of reading. The "New to the Hobby" threads here are very useful. I would do searches related to some of the questions you may have regarding this hobby.

As far as which size to start with - I say medium. Some say the larger the better, but if you get too large without knowing too much about what you're getting into, you might wear yourself out in maintenance and then shy away without getting any enjoyment. 40 - 60 gallons would probably be best. Plan to have some money sat aside also - more than a few hundred dollars :) As far as live rock - you need it. FOWLR is the best option.

Nanos are excellent tanks, but I'd get some experience with water chemistry first. Good luck!

Matt

fancyfish
03/18/2007, 05:38 PM
I agree that you should not start with a nano. I think you can start out a bit bigger with at least a 90. The reality is the biggest tank you can afford is best. There is less room for error in a smaller tank.
Research alot befor jumping in otherwise you will waste a lot of money and become frustrated. Good luck.

NateT
03/18/2007, 06:12 PM
I have a friend that is trying to get rid of his tank and it has to be 40 to 50 gallons. It has all the stuff for a freshwater tank so can I use anything besides the tank?

NateT
03/18/2007, 06:16 PM
Is it possible for one of the moderators to move this thread to the New to the Hobby Forum? If so that would be great.

Kellie in CA
03/19/2007, 01:14 AM
I started with a 28 gallon and had a lot of success, but I did a TON of research before starting. Now I have an 8 gallon and it's doing really well, but I am itching to get into something bigger because my options are so limited. I think a good choice for a beginner is one of the larger all-in-ones (24-30 gallons). The Oceanic BioCube is really nice, Red Sea Max, etc... It really depends on how much you want to spend, but when you are just staring out it is nice to buy something that comes with just about everything you need. The less guess work, the better.

Good Luck!

Lpabsolute
03/19/2007, 10:33 AM
Most people i know, not all, but most start out small with somoething like a 10g tank. Just to see if they like it, plus it's cheeper than setting up something like a 55g or larger. I personally love my 20g long. It's really up to you, but most people start small and work their way up......Good Luck

K9
03/19/2007, 12:53 PM
Read the threads located here:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1031074

They offer you lots of great beginner information. Also, I agree with the others suggesting a larger tank to begin with. Just buy the biggest tank you can afford in the beginning. It'll save you lots of money down the road and help you ahem, "get your feet wet". :)

A while back, I had a 10g, then a 20g, then a 30g, and now I'm setting up a 75g to save myself some trouble. I'm sure 2 or 3 years from now, I'll want to get a 150g or something. :D