PDA

View Full Version : High Nitrates

ajriek
03/18/2007, 04:03 PM
We have a BC 29. The lfs's test for nitrates said 0 and our test said 40. Who is right?? Also any ever use AZ-N03??

I am in a real pickle here.

Tony

moze229
03/18/2007, 06:52 PM
The only thing I can suggest is to go get another test kit. With two different variables, you need to add a third one and take the two similar readings as the answer.

sir_dudeguy
03/19/2007, 09:43 AM
well what are the brands of the tests? If you're using some cheapo brand test kit (and especially a test strip) then of course it will be wrong.

Salifert brand would be the best way to know for sure ;)

kingfisher62
03/19/2007, 03:22 PM
Yeah , a LFS i go to always says my nitrates are almost zero while my test kits measured between 20 and 40ppm.
maybe they just wanted me to buy fish. Ya think?
what kind of test kit are you using and how old is it?
I prefer " Aquarium Pharmaceuticals"

The best and quickest way to lower nitrates is with a water change using water with zero nitrates but you need to find out where your nitrates are coming from.

Do not over feed! Do you rinse your frozen food under the tap water in a net to thaw, you should those frozen juices can really do a number on nitrates.

dirty sponges and filter cartridges can be nitrate factories if not cleaned or changed .
What type of filtering are you using?

ajriek
03/21/2007, 10:37 AM
I went to another LFS and their test matches ours. I am feeling better at least on that half. But the bigger issue is the 20 on my test for nitrates. I clean/rinse the filters almost daily, changed every week or 10 days. The LFS said it might be an issue with our crushed coral bottom. It might be trapping the nasty stuff and that is what is causing the issue.

Would more live rock help get the natural balance back inline?? Any other suggestions?? Thanks

Rosseau
03/21/2007, 11:15 AM
I wonder if LFS' have high nitrates due to their high death rates and over stocking of fish.

I wouldn't be surprised if some places have calibrated their tests to read "0" as they determine the acceptable nitrate level to be. This may mean nitrate levels of 40 or so, but that is their baseline, thus 0 is what they report.... maybe not, again it depends what tests they use and what methods they use.

Rosseau
03/21/2007, 11:16 AM
If you can, get some chaeto algae.. i'm not sure if the BC has any easy space for it... but it's a great way to keep nitrate and other levels down. the stuff has worked wonders for me and is incredibly easy to care for.