PDA

View Full Version : Replacing fan on Aquapod 12G

dbond
03/18/2007, 01:44 PM
I find the stock Aquapod fan extremely noisy what would be a good replacement as well thinking of adding a second fan.
I want to have 1 fan still being controlled by the ballast so it comes on when the light is on and 1 to be powered externally this way I can have my controller control the 2nd fan to only come on when the temp rises to high.

macperry
03/18/2007, 01:54 PM
I just got done replacing my fan on my 1yr old AP 12g. The best thing to do is take the old fan to a computer store and have them match it as closely as possible. Get 2 of them. Now comes the hard part....you can salvage the connector off the old fan, but now you will have to find one to match. If you can't you will have to do what I did, which is solder the bare wires from the fan onto the tiny other set of posts next to where you unplugged the original fan. Current USA decided to provide a circuit board for 2 fans, but only install 1. Both new fans will come on at the same time. It is also a very good idea to install the fans so that they blow down into the hood, and force the hot air out. Current has it backwards, and pulls moist air from the tank (which ruins the fans) and does a horrible job of cooling the hood and tank. Good luck...let me know if you have any more questions.

dbond
03/19/2007, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the info but Im really looking for the manufacturer name of a good quite fan, what I have read so far indicates going with either the Vantec stealth or the Silen X.
I have read mixed reviews on the Vantec and hard to find any feedback on the Silen X but here's what I found on their respective websites.
Vantec Stealth 20db at 2600rpm
Silen X 8db at 1500 rpm or 12db at 2000 rpm dependent on which model so Im leaning towards the Silen X but would love to get some feedback first.

BSimm
03/19/2007, 08:42 AM
You may want to look at www.nexfan.com

all sorts of fans, in many different sizes, and with db ratings for most (along with CFM figures).

They also have the wiring, connectors and splitters you may need to ease your installation.

Good luck.

BSimm

bunkerboy
03/19/2007, 12:39 PM
My fan is sounding like crap also. I called Foster and Smith and they said they would contact Aquapod and have them give me a call. I dont want a fire hazard. Is there truly room for two fans, or is one of slots an intake for room air, and the other is for the heated air to escape?

dbond
03/19/2007, 02:08 PM
Yes their is room for 2 fans as well they have the connections pinned out for 2 fans off the ballast.
The Aquapod already has the top vented above the lites as well so I dont think you have to worry about an intake for room air but you could have 1 fan for in and 1 for out.

A Canfield
03/19/2007, 02:32 PM
I have an older 12g nanopod.........it looks like it has 2 places for fans but they weren't there when I bought it secondhand. Can you install these fans without having anything covering them to prevent them from getting wet??? The lights, of course, are covered but this covering doesn't cover where it looks like the fans should go.
comments?

dbond
03/19/2007, 02:35 PM
Im not sure about the nanopod? if thats the same as an Aquapod but the aquapod fan slots are both covered by the light reflector.

A Canfield
03/19/2007, 02:37 PM
there's no coverage on mine...........i might just have to go with an outside fan blowing across the vents