PDA

View Full Version : New to Nano...Several questions.

artilespm
03/16/2007, 05:59 PM
I should know better than this, but I'll let the ones who have experience with these tanks help me out. I downgraded temporarily to a 12G Nano just to house two of my fish. They are part of the family and will be housed in this Nano for the next year. I have several softies in the tank right now along with the fish. I do a water change every 2, sometimes 3 weeks. I'm getting green hairy algae along with some patches of red algae. Never had this problem when I had my 65G tank. Of course, I had a MONSTER protein skimmer along with over $10K worth of otehr equipment. I have no problem with temp. I think it's the 2-3 weeks in between water changes. I'll be honest, there's no way I can do a water change every week. I can handle every two weeks. Can one of these small protein skimmers help out? I've been looking at the Sapphire Protein Skimmer for JBJ Nano Cube Model NC12. Anybody have any luck with these skimmers? BTW, no fatalities and my softies seem to thrive. It's just this algae issue. I use RODI water as well. Hope you can help out.

Illuminati
03/16/2007, 08:36 PM
How are your back chambers setup?

You need to get something like phosban in a media bag and put it in the back chamber to get rid of excess phosphates.

I also use Chemi-Pure and Purigen in media bags, both would probably help.

I use all 3 in my 24g nanocube and I have no algae problems.

artilespm
03/16/2007, 08:49 PM
I would think that by using RODI water I would avoid Phosphates. Maybe I need to get a Phosphates test kit and/or change my RO filters if necessary. It has been about 6 months since I last changed them.

Thanks

d_icemand
03/16/2007, 08:59 PM
i just ordered the sapphire 24 for my nano. cant wait! heard lots of good things. I change the water (5 gallons) every week. Ive tried multiple times going every other week but only problems arise after a month or so. Im hoping the skimmer helps. I do admit i have a "heavy" bio load for a nano.

artilespm
03/16/2007, 10:56 PM
d_icemand... Where can I get some info/ratings on the Sapphire series skimmers besides here on RC? Who makes them? Etc.

Illuminati
03/16/2007, 11:01 PM
They sell it at www.nanotuners.com

d_icemand
03/17/2007, 09:06 AM
here is the maker of the skimmer.

http://www.sapphireaquatics.com

ive read some great reviews on here and nano-reef.com So far the biggest complaint is micro bubbles are produced in the first week of operation--then they go away. I cant say myself---mine should be here tuesday.