PDA

View Full Version : skimmer mod

strayvoltage
03/15/2007, 10:55 PM
Hi,
For any of you that have the Remora Pro skimmer. If you are like me you have a problem with the big O ring that they install on it to adjust the height of the collection cup. They always seem to get hard and break, no matter how good you keep them lubed up. Here is how I solved the problem. Get rid of the O ring , take a piece of lexan or plexiglass. make sure you know the height you want your collection cup to be at. I know for myself once I got it set to the height that it made the best production I never had to set it any different. Cut two pieces of whatever material you are going to use that will fit on the end of the cup. measure down from the top of the cup and mark it for the bottom edge of the material. Use super glue or whatever kind of glue you have that will hold the two plastice together. just glue the two pieces in place and let them dry for a few minutes. Problem solved. Quick easy fix. Only thing you need to be sure of is to get the pieces the same distance down and make sure they are even front to back. If they aren't then your cup will not set level in the skimmer and wont work as well
I hope this helps at least one person.
This should work the same way on the smaller regular Remora skimmer

starsbravo
03/19/2007, 01:35 PM
Going off subject, but I noticed that my Remora wasnt producing as much skimate as I thought, so I pretty much took apart everything I could and cleaned it throughly. What a difference. It started pulling a whole lot during the first day. I hadnt cleaned it in maybe 8 months!! My advice, Clean everything on a monthly or quarterly regimen. Thanks for the info on the mod, ill probably look into it. Right now I have a thick ruberband holding it. My O ring broke long ago.

starsbravo
03/19/2007, 01:37 PM
That sounds kinda sick after reading it."My O ring broke long ago" but you guys know what I mean.

strayvoltage
03/19/2007, 11:37 PM
starsbravo, i tke it you do know the lower you set the cup the more it will usually make. The only thing it that it is usually not very dark. The only part I have ever cleaned on mine in well over a year is , of course the cup very well each time I dump it. And I take the screw out every few months and run the brush that came with it down through the orfice. Thats really about all there is that makes it work.

starsbravo
03/20/2007, 09:13 AM
Well just to let you know that cleaning the impeller on the maxi-jet or whatever pump you have on it does produce a lot more gunk. Also when I was cleaning the skimmer itself, there was a lot of gunk on the bottom that came pouring out. I let it sit for about 15 minutes in warm water to break up all the debris in there.

strayvoltage
03/20/2007, 08:41 PM
Okay, thanks for that info. Maybe mine has slowed down a little at a time and I don't even notice it.

Bury1
03/31/2007, 10:22 AM
I had the same O-ring problem a few years ago. I think we all have. I have since put 2 zip-ties together and tightend them around the collection cup (which still can be adjusted whenever necessary). I've had the same zip-ties on now for better than two years. I hope this helps. BTW, taking the screw out and running a brush through for cleaning is all I've pretty much had to do to keep mine working at it's best.

strayvoltage
04/01/2007, 02:35 PM
Bury1, great idea. Makes it better to still be able to adjust. I have never had to change the adjustment on mine. I guess that's why I didn't even think about making it so I could still adjust it. Thanks for the input.

Bury1
04/02/2007, 02:03 PM
Glad I could help

Salty Sam
04/03/2007, 02:59 PM
Hey, if you all need o-rings let me know....I will give you one....the Rubber Bands I use for bagging livestock work great....lol.

strayvoltage
04/03/2007, 10:45 PM
Oh sure Sam, now you tell us lol. Gee thanks Well so much for my great idea lol.