PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep the sane white?

kjordan
03/15/2007, 05:22 PM
Got brown on it and some on the glass. Tank up 2 months. It started the day after I added 1 ml of PhytoPlex(phytoplankton) for the candy cane coral

sir_dudeguy
03/15/2007, 06:22 PM
Its completely normal in new tanks. Most tanks can go through a few algae outbreaks during the first year or so. Keep your nitrates and phosphates down and you should be good.

But what do you have for cleanup crew? I suggest adding cerith snails. They're good w/the sand and everything else too for that matter.

acrodave
03/15/2007, 06:29 PM
sane dont know but now sand to keep white time and if u like u can stirr it in

Purple Penguins
03/15/2007, 06:51 PM
stiring it in is only a temp solution, its best to get a good clean up crew, like Sir said, Cerith snails, or safe starfish, Sandsifting sea star if your tank is big enough,

sir_dudeguy
03/15/2007, 07:21 PM
I would not stir it IMO. Once its live, stirring can actually be a bad idea as it can sometimes kick stuff up causing a spike in something.

Sandsifting sea star if your tank is big enough,

seeing as this is being asked in the nano forums, i HIGHLY doubt the tank is big enough...that and jordan's sig says 29g BC ;)

Even if it was a big tank, i wouldnt recommend a sand sifter star. They eat all life in the sandbed which can pretty much make it useless for having pods and stuff. But in a small tank like a 29 (shoot, i wouldnt put one in a 125) thats just gonna kill it in a really short time.

Another thing you could do is a fighting conch. NOT a queen conch....those get huge and are like the sand sifter stars...strip the sandbed. Fighting conchs are a lot smaller and as far as i know of, they dont eliminate all life in the sand.

Purple Penguins
03/15/2007, 07:26 PM
I have a sandsifting ss and i have pods everywhere, maybe someday he will eat them all but so far he doesnt seem to be doing a good job they just keep multiplying

barron
03/15/2007, 07:28 PM
Possibly diatoms, if not already using, switch to RO water