PDA

View Full Version : loud standpipe

jpenwell
03/15/2007, 02:37 AM
Ok time to come to the experts. How in the world can i quite my standpipe down? I have glass over my tank right now but it still sounds like a broken waterfall. any tips on how to quite this thing down? its a PVC pipe with slots cut into the top of it. the water falls about three feet where it hits a 90 degree angle .

TheDeparted
03/15/2007, 02:48 AM
mmm thats a tough one.. if it was a hang on overflow there is a way, but a standpipe in the tank, no clue.

jeffb3t
03/15/2007, 03:07 AM
Is it just a straight pipe drilled throught the bottom of your tank? take a pic if you can. It will help us figure out how to help better.

hot4teacher
03/15/2007, 06:48 AM
I remember reading up on this when I was building mine. I think there are two options:

1) change/modify the path the water takes (use a rounded 90 PVC)

2) change the flow of water that travels through the standpipe. (increase/decrease flow)

Knowing this tank, I think I would first change the 90 under the tank (just after the bulkhead fitting) to help smooth out the ride the water takes. I could imagine the water going down the 3' and crashing into the 90 at the bottom. I found a smoother 90 and thats what I found worked best for me.

Another option is decreasing or increasing the flow. Pinch the hose on the return line. Does it get louder? What happens when you stick your arm in the tank? If I remember on that tank, my arm would displace water and it would get quiet for a few seconds. Probably what would be ideal is to increase the flow which would help overall water turnover rate.

Dana

teto_78
03/18/2007, 06:13 AM
yeah, take a picture, but first thing that comes to mind is sound dampening adhesive mats used on Cars, and rubble where the "waterfall" ends....

jpenwell
03/18/2007, 08:24 AM
finally a quite stand pipe:) i did like dana said and changed the direction. i changed the 90 degree elbow and...wow i can hardly hear the water. Also, since wy ball and chain was in tama all day with the curtain climbers (kidos) i was also able to work on my sump. i will take a few pics tuesday when i get home from work and get your guys critisisum. i wasnt able to build it exactly like i wanted but it should serve its purpose. thanks everyones help

hot4teacher
03/19/2007, 12:24 AM
Glad to "hear" things were quieted down for you!

Make sure your lady doesn't read this board. Addressing her as "ball and chain" may lead to no more tank. "Oops! How did that bleach get in there..."

Dana

hot4teacher
03/19/2007, 05:38 AM
For the record, this is what I had suggested. It is a picture of my tank's plumbing. (ignore the spaghetti of a mess with the wiring. I churched it up shortly after the picture (the pic is from a while ago).

Dana

http://www.backyardbullet.com/smooth90.jpg

jpenwell
03/19/2007, 05:08 PM
hey dana,
remimber i was asking about my protien skimmer? I was looking at it the other night and i figured out that my powerhead was going bad. the magnet was spinning freely and when i turned it on water was only shooting up about 10in. i changed my magnet and now it looks niagra falls. i am gonna go home this morning and see how it works now. i think this may have been the problem.

oh, i guess i need to stop buying bleach. lol

hot4teacher
03/19/2007, 08:48 PM
Yep. That would explain the low/no output.