PDA

View Full Version : BC29 Needed Equipment

hypertech
03/14/2007, 06:02 PM
I've been thinking about starting a small tank. The guy that owns my local pet store is beginning to get interested in fish - he has setup a large FO tank and is now starting himself a reef tank.

We got to talking and he said he could get me a bio cube 29 for $200. I"m still in the middle of remodeling my house so I'm debating getting it due to funds. I had planned on setting up a tank in about 6 months.

If I do, and I add the liverock and live sand - what else do I HAVE to have to get started? Will I need a skimmer or could I add a starphire skimmer later on once I add more fish?

Are there any corals that will live under the built in lamps? Eventually I want to keep a clam, but that can wait till I can upgrade the lights.

Illuminati
03/14/2007, 07:22 PM
Needs:

Water source (Salt+RO/DI water if you do it yourself).

Hydrometer (Refractometer is best).

Digital Thermometer

2 heaters (always nice to have a backup), maybe 1 50W and 1 75W)

Powerhead, upgrade to a maxijet 1200, use the stock powerhead to mix your saltwater or as an emergency backup.

Test kits, unless your LFS can do it. The basics are Nitrate & Ph after your cycle occurs.

You can keep a variety of soft and LPS under this lighting, no clams, they need MH to thrive.

No skimmer needed, I have a 24 gallon nanocube w/o a skimmer. Make use of various media's like Purigen and Chemi-pure to keep PH right, nitrates low and your water clear.

Crackerballer
03/14/2007, 07:59 PM
thats a steal on those Cubes. He wanna hook some other folks up.

hypertech
03/14/2007, 08:41 PM
I think I'll call him tomorrow and order it.

It sounds like I don't need any other major equipment besides a water filter (that can be separately justified since I think it would make better sweet tea).

Next month I can buy the live rock. I'm waiting on a price from reefscience - their pics look good but they don't post a price. I'm pretty sure I'm going to order it online from someone and just let it cycle in the tank.

I don't think the petshop would be interested in shipping, but anyone in the Minneapolis area that wants to know the shop name can PM me. I don't know if posting the name here is against the rules.