PDA

View Full Version : Nano Reef Longevity

tiffrobbins
03/14/2007, 05:22 PM
It seems that most of the pictures of nano reefs that I see on this sight are fairly new. I'd say set up within a year. I'd like to get some advice from the people who have kept a long lived and successful nano reef. I'm in it for the long haul. I'd just like to know your secrets to success and also I'd like to see some mature tank pictures.

Purple Penguins
03/14/2007, 10:23 PM
I think most of us are in it for the "Long Haul" we dont invest this kind of time or money into somthing that will be tossed out in a few months, and just because someone has a new nano reef does not mean they know what they are doing or have prior exp,
I for one value everyones advice and opinions and take it all in as a learning exp that can be taken or left alone

Kalied20
03/14/2007, 11:41 PM
Most people move up from a nano. There has been a surge in people starting nanos. For some reason people think smaller less expensive. But not the truth.

Most first time nanos usually end up into 75, 90, 120 gallon reefs.

uhuru
03/15/2007, 12:46 AM
I'm starting with a nano because I'm uncertain where I will be within the next year. Once I know where I will be for the next 4-5 years I will be getting a bigger tank.

jimrawr
03/15/2007, 01:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9480338#post9480338 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by uhuru
I'm starting with a nano because I'm uncertain where I will be within the next year. Once I know where I will be for the next 4-5 years I will be getting a bigger tank.

exactly the same with me.. I know I will need to break down my tank within the year so I didnt want to setup something to big

victor_c3
03/15/2007, 04:12 AM
Ditto with what was mentioned above. I'm not planning on keeping a nano tank for the long hauld, but I will end up upgrading to a much larger tank in about 1-2 years from now and throw everything in my nano tank into that when the time comes.

Rosseau
03/15/2007, 07:23 AM
Again, that is why I have a nano. Moving around a lot at this point in my life. A nano is the only viable way of having a SW tank.

But you're right, it seems most nano's, at least on RC are relatively young. At least as compared to some of the 280G's in other forums.

Now this isn't to say that nano reef's can't last for years. I'm pretty sure that is a non-issue as long as you take more or less proper care of it.

tonkadawg
03/15/2007, 07:37 AM
I've had one of my nanos running since 2001. It's gone through various changes over the years - started out as a mixed reef, then I focused on lps/zoos/rics then moved towards sps. It's now home to my wifes 2 seahorses.

With each of those changes, equipment set up changed, pc to MH and back. HOB refugium, skimmer, HOB filter and even drilled. Also done the sand bed, starboard and back.

With each of those changes, my routine has remained the same. I do weekly water changes of about 5-10 gallons (tank is 18 gallons). I make sure my bulbs are changed out about every 10 months and equipment cleaned once a month. I tested in the beginning and when the tank was sps, I tested ca, alk and mg but now no testing is done.