PDA

View Full Version : picotopes filtration and lighting

Smork81
03/14/2007, 03:37 PM
I was planning on getting a picotope for my office desk. Will the 9 watt 50/50's be sufficient for medium lvl required corals? Also the filter that is provided with it..does it skim??? i cant seem to find this info..And would it even need a skimmer being only 3g's..
Any suggestions/info would be very helpfull so i will know what to get b4 i buy it a make a mistake.

-Nika

paradicio
03/14/2007, 04:15 PM
I've got a 3g Picotope, the stock light is fine for softies and LPS (but I did replace mine with the 18w from Current). :D

The filter does not skim, and (unless you want to run a bit of carbon) is generally useless. I've got a small powerhead on mine for some flow that doesn't get in the way of stuff too much, here is a pic of the box.

http://www.fishnetonline.com/images/picopumpbox.jpg

Smork81
03/14/2007, 04:24 PM
SO dump the filter basicly that comes with it and just get a really small powerhead? Is yours bare bottom or do you have sand...and if u have sand does it and the LR do enough filtration to keep it clean? and how mny lbs of LR can be kept in a 3g cause thats what i was planning on getting...

paradicio
03/14/2007, 05:46 PM
I use the filter, just as mechanical filtration (sponges changed weekly) and a very little bit of extra flow.

I've got 5lbs of LR in it, the sandbed is about an inch deep. So far so good. :)

Smork81
03/15/2007, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the info! I am def. going to get me one! Now what 1 fish can i have in it? lol