PDA

View Full Version : New bulbs needed!

jamesgang
03/14/2007, 10:53 AM
Who do the North Coast Reefers go through for new bulbs?
I'm in need of a MH 250w 13-15k HQI. My current 10k double ended HQI is too white to the point of looking yellow. It was the bulb that came with the system and the only choice I had for the fixture of that size.
All the places on line are running $65-$85, there is a place on Ebay that has them for $29 but once again it's on Ebay. I'll pay the full price if I have to but like saving money where ever I can.
Thanks

crispyreef
03/14/2007, 12:19 PM
Ask Steve at www.coralreefecosystems.com he can help you out.

northbay-reefer
03/14/2007, 12:25 PM
Steve have great prices on the main stream bulbs, or you can try some new stuff here www.reefopticslighting.com I am currently using these bulb (20k) with some other club members and love the color

jkreefer
03/14/2007, 06:52 PM
I have a XM 20k (blue) HQI that is about 2 months old. PM me if interested

coralfarmer
03/14/2007, 09:52 PM
Remember with MH bulbs sometimes you get what you pay for.
Definately order them through steve. Not only will you get a good price on bulbs but he is a wealth of information on keeping reef tanks. He is one of the only people I know that has kept an always beautiful and amazing reef tank for more than ten years.

corndogg
03/14/2007, 10:12 PM
I second James' statement. Steve @ CRES has great prices and a wealth of knowledge. He offers competative pricing with local pickup. Plus, I always end up grabing a frag or two while I'm there.

But... to say "you get what you pay for" I think is a stretch because we all know that competition and market are what affects price. Remeber how expensive VCRs were when they came out? They are cheaper now and better. Isn't the goal of any inventor to figure out how to manufacture your product the at the least expense and charge the most possible. Now, if I could only invent something :lol: I'll still take care of my NCR guys though

jamesgang
03/14/2007, 11:19 PM
Sorry Jeff I ordered before checking the thread again or I would have taken you up on the offer.

I ordered from Steve and paid for shipping before checking to see where he was located. Does he have a shop in Guerneville or sell out of his home? I might be able to call him before he ships it and just ride up there on Friday.

jkreefer
03/14/2007, 11:41 PM
no problem, yes just call him and tell him you will pick up, and while you are there pick up some cool frags

corndogg
03/15/2007, 12:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9479768#post9479768 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jamesgang
Does he have a shop in Guerneville or sell out of his home? I might be able to call him before he ships it and just ride up there on Friday.

Yeah, he runs his business out of his home. I'd definately opt for local pickup if you can make it out there. His normal days for walk-ins are thursday and saturday. Plus you'll get a chance to see his tanks which alone are worth the drive!

jamesgang
03/16/2007, 11:47 AM
Got my new 14K Hamilton HQI from Steve installed this morning and also dropped in the Hammer and a couple of other frags I picked up from Chris.
Tank looks a lot better with a little blue in it and the hammer only took about 30 min to open up after dripping it.
I've started extending my MH times out by an hour a day until I reach my 10 hour max on time.
Hopefully all the critters will adjust nicely.

Hope to make the next NCR meeting in April.
Thanks guys.

Oh and no more buying my frags from LFS. I'm making the trek to the sticks to get mine from Steve. I couldn't believe the set up he had. Not only did he tell me about fragging my toadstool, he picked up a blade and demonstrated on one of his own. Maybe I'll go back in a month and buy the one he fragged. Great guy with and awesome setup.