PDA

View Full Version : Nano Set-up

Kaos
08/15/2002, 03:17 PM
Hi Dr. Ron, my name is Glenn and I am getting ready to set up a 7gal. AGA mini-bow nano reef. I do not have any hands-on experience in reef keeping, but I have spent the last few months reading books and posting messages. I have had a FO saltwater tank for about 8 months without any major problems. What I would like to know is your recomendations as to the set up and maintanance of this tank. My equipment, which I will be purchasing in the next few months is:
7gal. AGA mini-bow
2x32w Custom Sea Life power compact lights (1 1000k/ 1 super actinic)
approx. 10lbs. Fiji cured live rock
? lbs. live sand
Ebo Jager 100w heater
2 mini jet 606 pumps (82-153 gph)
The fish/inverts/corals I would like to keep are:
pair False Percula (Amphiprion ocellaris)
1 Blood Shrimp or Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp
1 Moon Coral
A few Pulsing Xena
Metalic Green Star Polyps
Please let me know if this set-up is feesable and any alterations I should make. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mrcr4888
08/15/2002, 04:39 PM
In my opinion your list should look like this.
7gal. AGA mini-bow
2x32w Custom Sea Life power compact lights (1 1000k/ 1 super actinic)
approx.10 lbs. Fiji cured live rock I would use 7 or 6.
? lbs. live sand enough to make 3 in snad bed
Ebo Jager 100w heater u only need 50w
2 mini jet 606 pumps (82-153 gph) I might go with just one.
The fish/inverts/corals I would like to keep are:
pair False Percula (Amphiprion ocellaris)
1 Blood Shrimp or Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp
1 Moon Coral
A few Pulsing Xena
Metalic Green Star Polyps

As far as invertabrates I think you have a good list just keep up with water changes and a skimer would help with mantnice.

Good luck

scd
08/15/2002, 07:01 PM
Glenn,

There is a nano-reef board in Reef Central... The 7g has become a popular size and there are many posts discussing the inhabitant and set-up lists used by other hobbyist on that board....

Personally I think 2 fish and a shrimp is too much in a 7g. I would probably go with just one fish, no shrimp, and some snails (2-3 nassarius, a couple ring cowries or a couple ceriths... there are several options).

scd
08/15/2002, 07:11 PM
Oh,

When investigating the experiences of other 7g nano owners be sure to understand how long they have been successfully running the 7g. Particularily if you find people with a bio load as high as what you are planning. I think you will find it is not very long!!

Having a 15g myself, I often read on the Nano board... Many of the more successful people with 7g tanks are plumbing them to refugiums or sumps, etc... to accomodate higher bio loads.

Good luck, I've seen some really nice looking 7g's!!!

rshimek
08/16/2002, 10:51 AM
Hi,

I think your questions will be best answered here.

:D