PDA

View Full Version : auto top off help

flaco626nj
03/13/2007, 11:45 PM
ok guys im new here and i need yoour help im going to be starting my first nano reeef with a 12 gl ap and i want to put a ato for it but i dont know were to start and there arent many forums that have been helpful in doing so once i get it started ill start a new thread so you guys cold probably help me out in making the write choices oh yeah i want it to be a diy ato thanks...........:rollface:

Butchdawg14
03/14/2007, 12:26 AM
i just put in one on my....it is just a drip system....i have pics in the another thread that is right here....

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1068478

i did it the cheapest way possible....you can read through the other posts that other people have told me.....like the optionof putting a float valve on it.

but mine is a gravity drip system... i think it cost about 8 bucks

flaco626nj
03/14/2007, 01:40 AM
thanx but im looking for something a little more accurate and a little more discrete but if any one else has any ideas please help

Butchdawg14
03/14/2007, 01:51 AM
look at dr foster and smith...or there are alot of websites out that that show alot of stuff.

that flost valve is going to be effective.....i dont have it but i hear that is works great. i might be switching to that soon we will see.

flaco626nj
03/14/2007, 09:33 AM
thanx butchdawg ill give it a try but there is still one problem I DONT KNKOW HOW TO PUT IT TOGETHER SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ............AND OH YEAH I NEED IT TO FIT A 12GL AQUA POD

murfman
03/14/2007, 11:42 AM
http://www.aquahub.com/store/diygaquarium.html

flaco626nj
03/14/2007, 03:21 PM
murfman thanx thats more of what im looking for now does any one here have any ideas on how i can do this without haveing to buy anything at all im kind of on a budget and nothing beats being able to save not only that i have 4 other tanks that i want to do this on they are all fresh water but i just hate the look when the water starts to evaporate come on guys ive already had 60 views and only two people have responed

epicfish
03/14/2007, 03:35 PM
www.autotopoff.com $40 for the single switch, $50 for the double.

You can put the float switches in your back compartment to hide them from view. Plug the relay into the wall. Plug a pump into the unit, then put the pump into a bucket of water with a tube coming into your tank. When the water falls below the switch, it triggers the pump to turn on and pump water into the tank.

Simple. :)

flaco626nj
03/14/2007, 06:43 PM
ok guys now we are getting some were but im trying to save money so any more input but thanx epicfish every little helps

GreenUku
03/15/2007, 01:31 AM
You could try this DIY auto topoff (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=661601) that I built.

Instead of a suntea jar, you could use an acrylic canister (as sold at walmart), like the one used in this DIY canister filter (http://www.myreef.distantrealm.com/canister.asp).

flaco626nj
03/15/2007, 06:30 PM
thanx green uku ive seen this idea but its not really what i want i dont wasnt anything thats is going to be gravity feed let me tell you more or less what i have as far a spair parts i have a a maxijet 1200 tons of diffrent tubings and an extra air pump all i really need is something for a switch any ideas on like house hold products so i wouldnt have to buy a flote switch and instructions on how to put it together

gabegmonkey
03/15/2007, 10:10 PM
I think both of their suggestions are good ones and represent two very "do-able" and affordable ways of going about it...

But perhaps you could check out www.MacGuyver.com for a way to do it using string a coathanger and some gum...

flaco626nj
03/25/2007, 03:58 PM
hey guys havent been here in a while gabegmonkey thanks for leaving your input but the site you send me to its wrong anyone else got any info

TGBrown
03/25/2007, 05:02 PM
I think what gabegmonkey is saying is that with what you have on hand, and the suggestions that have been given to you, you aren't going to find any cheaper solutions.

If you aren't prepared to drop a few $$, then you're going to have to use one of the above answers or manually add your top off water as needed.

If you don't have any money to turn loose of, you may need to rethink your hobby choice, IMHO.

flaco626nj
03/25/2007, 07:20 PM
thanks tg brown i hadnt noticed the what gabedgemonkey wassaying cause i kind of browsed threw what he wrote me but its ok i do think that everyones advise here has been very helpful and i do know that i am looking into spending a lot of money i am just looking for something that i can use in the ap that i am going to be starting and in the other 4 fish tanks i have so i was wondering if there was anything that i might already have at home that will help any ones opinion is welcomed thank you... in advance

Slakker
03/25/2007, 07:23 PM
What exactly is your aversion to the gravity-fed method? It would be cheap, effective, and certainly not very difficult.

flaco626nj
03/26/2007, 06:26 PM
i actualy am going to buy a float switch and go from there i didnt want the gravity fed method because it is not acurate you can ask butch dawg about that after posting in my thread i read that he was having problems with his but all is well hopefully i will start on my reef next month and post another thread any one got advice pon how i can seal the bottom to in takes so i can just get surface skimming