PDA

View Full Version : This is for Aquapod owners!!!

ALittleSalty
03/11/2007, 04:27 PM
Today when I was doing my tank maintenance and taking out my old fan I discovered something that was a little alarming. My original fan had been working on and off for a couple of weeks and finally died a week and a half ago. I was only running my day lights for around 2 - 3 hours while I was home in evening to prevent any overheating and make sure nothing would catch on fire. As I was removing the lens cover I discovered that it was disfigured and warped around the end of the bulb socket. The most noticeable warped area is around the rubber seal in the lip, it has been warped about 4 mm from the original set up. I popped it off and discovered that it has also bent the track that the the cover snaps into.

My advise for those of you that have fan issues, to replace them as soon as possible and not run the lights at all. I can only imagine what could of happened if I had not discovered this. My stealth fan should be here on tuesday.

Looks like I will be upgrading my lighting the 150W HQI fixture this month as well. Jon

Purple Penguins
03/11/2007, 05:56 PM
where did you get your stealth fan from?

danmc00
03/11/2007, 08:22 PM
I got my Vantec Stealth Fans from xpcgear.com

They were only $4 each

kkyyllee
03/11/2007, 09:46 PM
how hard is it to change out the fan to a stelth?

i have the stock and its reaaaaaalllly noisy and anoying
it'd be nice to have it quiter
:]

mdrumm
03/12/2007, 12:09 AM
that is why I am running a chiller on my aquapod. not worth the risk.

junkitu
03/12/2007, 01:48 AM
The stealth is quieter but does it move as much air as the stock fan?

NETSECPRO
03/17/2007, 03:44 PM
What size are the fans in the 12G AquaPod? My fan died the other day so i'm only running the actinics for a few hours a day. I went to radio shack, and found a 40mm fan for 12.99, but the wires did not have the plug on the end. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks!

rabid frog
03/17/2007, 04:59 PM
Something else you may notice is that the aquapods are set up for two 2.5" fans. Yet they only install 1. Also when I took my aquapod hood apart, the fan was not working at all. the shroud had been melted and it was just hanging by copper wires.

The Power converter also was broken off the pegs that is was mounted to and bouncing around in the hood. So do your self a favor take the covers off and check your stuff. You may be surprised at what you find.

NETSECPRO
03/18/2007, 06:54 PM
Any suggestions where to get one of these fans? The only ones I can find locally are either 40mm or 80mm. I have seen some at newegg.com but they are 2-pin. I need one ASAP since mine died on friday, and Monday will make 4 days without white light. My corals are not going to be very happy!

Thanks!

rabid frog
03/18/2007, 08:25 PM
My fans in my aquapod were 2 pin fans.

flfirefighter13
03/18/2007, 08:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9453957#post9453957 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mdrumm
that is why I am running a chiller on my aquapod. not worth the risk.

Chiller is great for the fish but wont stop the houseing from melting if the fan goes bad.

I had a similar issue on a aquapod 12 melted while I was home luckily, would have been a whole nother story had I been gone. I pulled it off and replaced with a hanging canopy.