PDA

View Full Version : maxi jet 900 mounting question

boosst
03/11/2007, 11:11 AM
i have a mj900 in my 12 gal aquapod. it was way down at the bottom of chamber 4 and there was a slight kink in the line to the factory "Y" fitting. i noticed very little flow coming into the tank, so i mounted to pump at the very top pf chamber 4 with about a 1-2" piece of tubing going straight into the factory "y". this mad a HUGE difference in flow and stirred up the tank quite a bit after doing this. my questions is: is this there a such thing as too much flow from that pump? i don't want it to cause problems later on. thanks

ALittleSalty
03/11/2007, 04:18 PM
How much flow you want it purely up to you and and what you plan on keeping in the tank. I just added the same pump to my AP24 and it is working nice. I built a spray out of 1/2" pvc pipe with holes drilled every inch. This gave me the nice shimmer effect as well as keeping the surface water moving. I assume you are using the stock outputs on the tank, if this creating too much unidirectional flow, you might consider making a spray bar to keep the flow moving throughout the tank.

My only concern with you mounting the pump near the top of the chamber, is that as the water level decrease due to evaporation the pump could run dry. I would check that wate level every day to keep that pump submerged in water. Good Luck with the tank, I love mine. Jon