PDA

View Full Version : glass drilling

yellow dog
08/13/2002, 04:10 PM
Does anyone know of a place or a hobbyist that drills glass tanks in the bay area? I know its tough to find someone that'll do it, but let me know if there is anyone locally that will do it and who might also be able to install an overflow box and drain on the tank. I was in the area last week (scouting the new digs) and was disappointed with the local shops (I went to all the biggies in the east bay and SF proper) as none of them do any custom work...mostly they just tried to push tru vu acrylic tanks and jbj power compacts. Thanks in advance!

dsb1829
08/13/2002, 05:37 PM
Yep, what you say is about par for the course :rolleyes: . It is really a bummer that drilling is such a taboo around here. I know of several shops back east that custom drill tanks. It really does seam to me like a service that would come in very useful. I actually was only able to find one glass shop that would drill my tank, but a waiver was required.

IMO you are better off drilling it yourself. I can get you the screen name for a guy on e-bay that sells diamond tipped drills in the propper sizes. From what I here it is pretty basic. I have only drilled small holes in a practice tank. I used a Black and Decker bit (terrible bit, not worth the $7) and also a rotozip tile bit. The Rotozip bit will cut any size hole you want at the cost of time. I have heard others cut 1.75" holes in about 30min each. It took me about 20 minutes just to get started since I was taking it slow. IMO the e-bay guy is the way to go unless the money is more important than the time. Propper size drill is about $30. Rotozip bit is about $8.

ttt...

:smokin:

TheMandarinFish
08/14/2002, 07:51 PM
I did a lot of research on it, and pretty much Doug called it right.

Cameron at Aquarium Concepts drilled tanks, but needed to buy a diamond bit for glass. Then he moved back to OK.

A few glass shops might do it, but most told me if the tank exploded, too bad.

If you're drilling glass, make sure it is not a big tank - Cameron at AC told me the pressure of the tank on the weak spot where the hole is drilled will ultimately collapse a big tank... mine is 135 and he suggested I buy an overflow, so I got a Lifereef double.

Good luck; if you drillit yourself be sure to run cold water on the tank while doing it and take your time.

I hurried while drilling plastic sumps and busted each one I didn't go really slowly with.

yellow dog
08/14/2002, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the input! I'll wait until I finish my move then see if I can find the equipment to do it myself or someone who can.

EmasCterE
07/11/2003, 02:15 PM
I'm interested in drilling a small 15G for an overflow and return but from the sounds of it, I may be better off going w/ the HOB overflow. Has anyone been able to do it successfully or know of a glass shop that does? I may need some help.. .;)

MrClean
07/11/2003, 03:29 PM
Look into taking it to a monument works. They can sandblast a hole in your tank. They can do slots too.

Go ahead and order your tombstone while you're there so you can get exactly what you want. I'd hate to spend my eternity under an ugly tombstone.

SunfishFun
07/11/2003, 07:26 PM
I thought MrClean's idea was great. I was going to recommend the awesome place who recently made my parents' headstone. However, I just phoned them and they said, "No No No! We'd surely crack the glass. Try a window glass company." So, if anyone is pursuing this, cross Amador/East Bay Granite and Marble (Oakland/Berkeley) off your list.
-maureen