PDA

View Full Version : Sump Return Pump

6-line
04/27/2000, 10:13 PM
Hi everyone,
Soon I'll be setting up my sump for my 55 gallon reef. I have my Lifereef Overflow (Rated @700gph) and a ten gallon tank. I'm going to be partitioning off the sump and adding a sponge for occasional mechanical filtration. I'm just missing my return pump! Any thoughts? I'm thinking of a Rio or Mag, I cannot really afford an extrernal Iwaki or Dolphin, but can I have comments on the Mag and Rio and what size should I get.
Thanks

------------------
My Reef Site
Http://toddsreef.homestead.com/toddsreef.html

LowMax
04/27/2000, 10:26 PM
6-line

I'm running a RIO2500 with a lifereef overflow on a 75 gal. Sump is 29 gal. I also use a gate valve on lifereef outlet to quiet the noise - others have used a Drusso standpipe type design but I could never get it as quiet as adjusting flow with gate valve. I also use an ETSS RDIII skimmer with RIO2500. I keep a spare pump in case either goes out unexpectedly. HTH

[This message has been edited by LowMax (edited 04-27-2000).]

6-line
04/27/2000, 10:40 PM
LoxMax,
How noisey is the overflow and what type of gate valve did you use--pvc? Did you hard pipe the overflow to the sump and include the gate valve? The Rio 2500 is rated for??? How many gallons per hour at 4' of head, it obviously works because you use it. I was wondering the gph info because Pets.com doesn't give the pump numbers for Rio, just the gph.
Thanks
Any other suggestions?

------------------
My Reef Site

LowMax
04/28/2000, 04:55 AM
6-line

Without some type modification the overflow sounds like an amplified toilet flushing continuosly. I used a 1" PVC gate threaded at overflow outlet (tried ball valve first but not enough fine adjustment). I hard piped. Just as easy to use 1" ID clear tubing. When I find Drusso link for our overflow again and get box down from closet for pump specs will email you more info. For now - vaguely remember about 750 gpm at 0' and about 550 at 4'.

[This message has been edited by LowMax (edited 04-28-2000).]

portelli
04/28/2000, 07:37 AM
For my return I have a sen 700. I have a 30 gal with a 20 gal sump. It is rated at 600gph or so at a 4' head. Check out premuimaquatics they have the specs. It may be a little too powerful for me. I will have to slow down my return some.

Frisco
04/28/2000, 07:54 AM
I run a Sen 900 as the return on my similarly sized tank; it's rated at approximately 800 gph at 4ft of head. I haven't had any problems with it; I like it because it's submersible and any potential noise is considerably muffled.

dendronepthya
04/28/2000, 09:36 AM
I am a big fan of the SEN as well. They are very large however, and you may have a little bit of trouble comefortably fitting inside a 10 gal. tank if you have lots of other stuff down there.

JohnL
04/28/2000, 04:33 PM
I'd be nervous about using a Rio as a return pump. The Sen pumps are very well built but pretty big.

------------------
Peace - John

Frisco
04/28/2000, 04:43 PM
I guess I should pass on a recent bad report about a Rio Pump in a reef tank. The motor malfunctioned, and the plastic casing and coil began to melt and release copper into the water. Very few things survived the ordeal; he had a beautiful sps/clam tank. This is not the first time I've heard of this problem with these pumps...

[This message has been edited by Frisco (edited 04-29-2000).]

6-line
04/28/2000, 10:35 PM
Okay, thanks everyone for the responses.
If the Rio's are bad news, what about the Mags? Anyone heard any horror stories about them?
Thanks
Todd

------------------
My Reef Site

6-line
04/28/2000, 11:51 PM
up

Doug
04/29/2000, 12:59 PM
Hi Todd,

I have been using Mag 7's for over 2 years now. Here is what I have found.

First Mag 7, lasted 3 months, justed stopped one day. Replaced for free from LFS.

Second Mag 7, lasted about a year and half, just stopped one day.

Third Mag 7, Still running fine after 6 months.

I have also been running a Mag 7 on my ETS Reef Devil for about 9 months now without any problems.

I have never cleaned any of my Mag pumps because it is a real pain to remove them from my system. I always keep a spare on hand because they are somewhat cheap when compared to the other pumps though.

Rio 2500hp, used in bucket for mixing saltwater, lasted about a month, Overheated, blew oil, blew circuit breaker. Will never use again.

I also just bought an Aqua C skimmer which came with the Rio 2500 which I just replaced with a Mag 7 the other night. This Rio did not fail yet but I was not going to take an chances. If anyone else is wondering the Mag 7 works great on the Aqua C!

Even though I had some Mag 7's fail I have been very happy with them and I would think if I cleaned them they would last a lot longer.

HTH

Doug

------------------
Doug's Reef and Fish Page (http://38.222.244.200/dougw)

Q-ball
04/29/2000, 01:31 PM
Yep, the Mag-7's got my vote. Been runnin one over a year now on my 90g, no problems. Got a Mag-3(?) I think it is on my 29g reef w/ a 20g sump since November and no problems either. I shut it off everyday at feeding time and never had a problem with it starting back up.

Q

------------------
Reality is merely a short-lived perception, make of it what you will.

Flatlander
04/30/2000, 01:47 PM
The Rio;s will get you sooner or later. I used them many years ago and none of them could handle the kalk. I had to come home from work one day as one was on fire in my sump????????????? :mad.
My sons did run well as a return for his 75 for several years but just recently went kaput. Would not be so bad if they would just quit but they seem to self destruct adding a type of oil in the tank. Maybe this problem is corrected in the newer models.
I am going to run 2 Iwaki 20,s on my new tank. Looking for one more :D, anyone have one for sale?? This will still give me 1100gph through 4 returns in the top of the tank.

------------------
Doug Lowey

Mac
05/01/2000, 02:08 PM
mags are well priced and worth every cent. i have a 1200 running about 600-650 gph at a 9 ft head, i think they are the way to go, but the sen 7s and 9s seem to be making it big of late.
good luck

Minotaur15
05/01/2000, 02:24 PM
Mag's have always been a temporary pump, IME, lasting little more than a year. Theres a good number who quit around that time, or sometimes before. I dont think I've *ever* heard of a Sen failing.

------------------
Dan - minotaur15@hotmail.com
http://www.einsweb.com/minotaur15/