PDA

View Full Version : QT'ing Macro Algae

lossman
03/01/2007, 03:44 PM
I realize this post is in another forum, but not getting much response. Sorry about the cross-post.

Possibly trading for some macro algaes from new folks. Is there an appropriate quarrantine or inspection process for macro algaes? Any problem signs to look for in addition to sexual signs? Any possible signs to indicate disease?

Thanks

Steven Pro
03/01/2007, 08:01 PM
I would quarantine the macroalgae, just like I would anything wet, for one month to make sure any potential encysted fish parasites have hatched and died without a fish host.

MyCatsDrool
12/25/2007, 06:56 AM
Just a note of follow-up on this post, if that is alright:

My experience has shown recently that macroalgae does indeed need to be quarantined. A recently received ball of chaetomorpha was the cause of death by way of amyloodinium for my beloved blue spotted jawfish.

I am now fallow, treating my black and regular occellaris clownfish, and my scissorstail dartfish in a QT. Presently, I am treating them with Chloroquine and will try Hydrogen Peroxide in the next few days if conditions do not improve. I am also running UV on the display while it is fallow.

I can't tell you how much it broke my heart to have a $5 ball of chaeto introduce such devistation on my tank, and kill my beloved and most pricey fish in less than a few days. It was devistating, and the death was not pretty.

QT anything wet.

Steven Pro
12/26/2007, 10:32 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience. Hopefully others will learn from it.

As for treating the existing sick fish, I have always had good luck with copper (in a proper QT) for Amyloodinium. You can also administer a freshwater dip to provide those fish with some temporary relief.