PDA

View Full Version : External pumps

michael lavigne
03/01/2007, 10:37 AM
Anyone have an opinion which external pump is better, a Posieden or Iwakie? Such as efficiency/ heat input/quality. I want to use it as a return from my sump to the tank. Looking at getting a 900gpm.

GreenUku
03/01/2007, 12:02 PM
900 gpm ?!?!! :eek1:

engine
03/01/2007, 12:08 PM
have you checked into panworld pumps? Those are good also for heat/noise

asfullax
03/01/2007, 01:16 PM
I am currently using the Iwaki WMD40RLXT for my main sump pump. It has been running a little over a year now with no issues.

Its a little hot to the touch, but the heat stays away from the water do it only ups the temps a degree or two.

As for the American vs Japanese, I am very pleased with the american so far and I can't see paying double for the Japanese.

As far as noise, the Iwaki again is a bit louder, I would want it in at least a cabnet, but we have ours mounted in another room so I never hear it. :D

xchrisjb
03/01/2007, 01:28 PM
I don't have a truly external pump. I've got an Eheim that can be either submersible or external. It's pretty nice.

If you're looking for an external only pump, then here's my take based on seeing a few and a lot reading on RC:

Poseidon pumps are just about the quietest pumps available. However, they are prone to adding a fair amount of heat to your tank. If you're system can handle the added heat, then they're not bad. I've also read that with their titanium shaft, they can "foul" rather easily -- Ca deposits build up readily -- and need to be cleaned fairly often.

Iwaki pumps are probably the "standby" of the external pump market. They've been used for years and have an excellent reputation. Reliability will probably not be an issue. They won't be as quiet, but you probably won't be annoyed with the noise either.

I'd also suggest that you take a look at the Sequence line of pumps, specifically the Dart or the Snapper. Now, initially you'll probably think that they put out way too much flow, but both can be easily "valved-back" to reduce the flow (and the power consumption). Both are solid pumps. Jay (Dead Beat Reef) has a dart on his tank. It was very quiet, and I could easily put my hand on the pump without fear of getting burned. I was quiet impressed with it and am seriously considering the same pump should I set up my 75g. I'd suggest you get in touch with Jay and see if you can take a look at his Dart. Of course, Dead Beat hasn't posted on RC since the middle of Dec. and I haven't seen him at any of the club meetings lately so I don't know what he's up to ...

DBR -- YOU STILL OUT THERE?

Good luck :)

michael lavigne
03/01/2007, 01:51 PM
Everyone.....Excellent! very informative, thanks for the info.
Mike

asfullax
03/05/2007, 12:03 AM
xchrisjb,

Your right, I forgot about Jay's dart. Man I couldent believe how quiet that thing was, and yeah, it was WAY cooler then my Iwaki pump...

(late thought)

Looking back, I just remembered I was using the mag 9.5 on my 75 for a few years. the pump still works even after 6 hours of running dry. I currently use it for my closed loop / chiller. not much heat, internal and external plus its really cheap. :D