PDA

View Full Version : Anyone buy from tampa saltwater?

Navymedic
08/10/2002, 11:22 PM
hey how is there stuff? anyone have horror storys? i heard florida rock is not as good as fiji and tonga, also looking to find out if anyone have horror storys about hitchhikers on the rock..

anative
08/11/2002, 09:52 AM
I bought all the rock for my 55 from them. I did "The Package" which gives you Rock, Sand, and Critters. The good part is that the rock is covered with life. The bad part is the shape of the rock tends to be more round and boulderous then the flat shapes of the Pacific Rock.

We got lots of hitchhikers, some good some bad. Lots of little stars, but also 5 Mantis shrimp and a number of big mean hairy crabs.

All in all I was very happy with the rock, I am however using Figi rock in the new 58 I am setting up. Mainly because of the shape of the rock.

Jon

richo
08/11/2002, 09:53 AM
I have not personally purchased anything from them yet but I have considered taking a drive over there for some inexpensive live rock. I have talked to others and hitchikers are the #1 problem when buying their rock. I suppose if you let it cure by itself and setup some traps you can resolve the problem though. I do have some gulf rock in my tank and I can tell you that it is the most dense and heaviest of all the rock in my tank. - R

Navymedic
08/11/2002, 08:37 PM
i drove out there on saturday, and made a small purchase of 5 lbs for the nano, there was not much rock to see, the lady told me that shipments arrive on mondays and by saturday the choice stuff has been purchased, the rock has a lot of life, i do not discount the mantis shrimp, they had 4-5 in small tanks for sale, i will let you know if anything suddenly happens with the new r

hwsva
08/13/2002, 07:28 AM
Hey anative,
I got the package from TBSW also for my 37 gallon tank....one mantis shrimp came out when I carried a piece a rock from my bucket to the aquarium.....no others dropped out during the short trip, but I sure do hear a lot of clicks!

HELP ME.......how do you catch them???????:eek1:

TROPHYKW
08/13/2002, 09:17 AM
Hey Nick here, if possible try to listen which rock click is coming from or place alot of food in tank and watch for the mantis to come out to feed . Then pull that rock and put in a bucket {no water},he should come out. If not take a hanger and poke around in the hole's and try to make him come out. or squirt a little viniger in the hole's . that should get him to come out . Don't give up mantis are real hard to get rid of , but you sure don't want them in you tank . be real careful with them they can put you in alot of pain if they get you with one of those claws.
Nick
VP of ORCA
http://o-r-c-a.com/index.html

FANG
08/21/2002, 08:59 PM
WE HAVE GONE THERE ALMOST EVERY OTHER WEEKEND SINCE WE STARTED OUR 2 TANKS. THEY HAVE THE BEST STUFF I HAVE EVER SEEN. THE WEB SITE DOES NOT GIVE THEM JUSTICE. THE LIFE ON THIS LR IS AMAZING. WE PURCHASED OUR LS FOR OUR REEF TANK FROM THERE AND THE LIFE THAT CRAWLED OUT OF IT OH MY!! I WILL BE THERE THIS WEEKEND FOR SURE. THEY ARE ONLY OPEN TO THE PUBLIC ON SATURDAY'S 12-5.

NOT A FANCY BUILDING INSIDE OR OUT BUT THE STUFF IS AMAZING.

IF YOU TAKE THE TRIP TO VISIT LOOK VERY CLOSE FOR IT OR YOU WILL PASS IT. ITS JUST PASS BRITTS MOBILE (BIRGHT YELLOW SIGN) ON HILLSBOROUGH AVE., TAMPA.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

Navymedic
08/22/2002, 06:33 PM
hey thanks fang, u own stock? lol just kidding. i have been to the shop since posting this thread and u described it just right, btw i did pass the place, lol....

FANG
08/22/2002, 06:39 PM
Hmmm! Stock ya say. Well Maybe I oughta look into that. ha ha.

LOL

We passed it and then turned around in the PO parking lot. LOADS OF GREAT STUFF. I am very proud of our local Wonder Store.:D