PDA

View Full Version : Quality foods

cfockler
08/07/2002, 03:40 PM
If we created our own saltwater mix with an appropriate "trace" level of trace elements then it seems that providing quality foods with minimized trace elements would be the next key to prevent these toxic buildups. Does that sound right?

How does this approach sound?

- Use DIY salt mix and RO/DI (I live in Ohio)
- Feed the tank heavily with live foods cultured in DIY saltwater
- Establish 4" minimum DSB
- Skim relentlessly during the day
- Turn off skimmer at night to protect the sand infauna which comes up into the water column
- Harvest macroalgaes (perhaps use Turf Scrubber) for nutrient export

If I followed these guidelines would it still be worthwhile to look into PolyFilter and GAC filtration?

Thanks again for these recent articles. I'm new to the hobby, but it seems obvious to me that you're revealing some new truths that seem profound and will likely alter the hobby for the better in the future.

rshimek
08/07/2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by cfockler

Hi Clint,

If we created our own saltwater mix with an appropriate "trace" level of trace elements then it seems that providing quality foods with minimized trace elements would be the next key to prevent these toxic buildups. Does that sound right?

Well, it may be hard to provide foods with minimized trace elements; here (http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish/data/foods.asp) are some data on food composition. Trace elements seem to get concentrated in many good foods, and it is not easy to find foods without such concentrations.

If I followed these guidelines would it still be worthwhile to look into PolyFilter and GAC filtration?

Probably. We have small systems, and the build up of these chemicals probably can occur very rapidly.

..., but it seems obvious to me that you're revealing some new truths that seem profound and will likely alter the hobby for the better in the future.

Well, I think the truths are pretty old, but I hope they provide some impetus for change.

:D

cfockler
08/14/2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by rshimek
Well, it may be hard to provide foods with minimized trace elements; here (http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish/data/foods.asp) are some data on food composition. Trace elements seem to get concentrated in many good foods, and it is not easy to find foods without such concentrations.

If we cultured phytoplankton, copepods, zooplanktons, etc. in non-polluted waters would their trace levels be lower? Could we culture the foods in water containing no trace elements at all? Or in water with levels of trace elements below NSW? Something tells me that the costs of providing such cleansed water would be prohibitive.

rshimek
08/15/2002, 07:45 AM

Hi Clint,

If we cultured phytoplankton, copepods, zooplanktons, etc. in non-polluted waters would their trace levels be lower?

They would be lower than if they were cultured in polluted areas, but they may not be "low." Even natural concentrations of these metals appear to pose problems (this is why a lot of them are sequestered in the animals' bodies with chemicals that don't allow for them to become soluble). So, even in non-polluted areas the metals tend to accumulate with time.

Could we culture the foods in water containing no trace elements at all? Or in water with levels of trace elements below NSW?

It may well be possible to culture the organisms (particularly animals) for in "trace-element free" water (it is quite possible to grow larvae, for example in such water for several months). The animals would accumulate trace elements from their food, but the concentrations should be lower than any other source.

Something tells me that the costs of providing such cleansed water would be prohibitive.

If the water is made from purer components than average aquarium water mixes, it is quite easy to make such water. The cost is higher, but may not be a LOT higher. Most of the salt mixes appear to be made with a cheap grade of salt - and most of the trace metals we see in our water, made from such salts, appear to be simply impurities carried into the system (of course, the manufacturers can claim they are supplementing trace materials, but in reality they are just being cheap.). More expensive grades of components have fewer impurities, and the cost rises - sometimes a lot.

On the other hand, if we had such salt mixes we would need to do less water changes, etc., so in the long run, maybe the economics of the situation would be in our favor.

cfockler
08/15/2002, 10:01 AM
So, even in non-polluted areas the metals tend to accumulate with time.

Ok, but this level of accumulation would be the same as what the critters experience in nature, right? That sounds encouraging.

It may well be possible to culture the organisms (particularly animals) for in "trace-element free" water (it is quite possible to grow larvae, for example in such water for several months). The animals would accumulate trace elements from their food, but the concentrations should be lower than any other source.

Mmmm...very encouraging news! Could we also use "trace-element-free" water to culture phyto? I think you know where I'm going with this. Mayhap we could culture a limited food chain in said waters...

(of course, the manufacturers can claim they are supplementing trace materials, but in reality they are just being cheap.)

Nobody ever accused business men of having morals. I've taught my son to call it lying...in business they applaud it and call it advertising. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, if we had such salt mixes we would need to do less water changes, etc., so in the long run, maybe the economics of the situation would be in our favor.

Sounds too good to be true, but I hope your right. :)

rshimek
08/15/2002, 10:57 AM

Hi Clint,

That sounds encouraging.

In point of fact, if we can get past this heavy metal thing, the situation is probably quite encouraging.

Could we also use "trace-element-free" water to culture phyto?

No, I don't think so. As other posters have pointed out we have to have some small amount of these materials in the system as enzymatic cofactors, etc. And as the phytoplankton start the ball rolling, they need to have some trace elements in solution. However, they certainly don't need all trace elements, nor do they need an over abundance of them (there have been recipes for the appropriate mixtures floating around algology labs for half a century or more).

:D