PDA

View Full Version : Where to get solid plastic golf tees?

Frick-n-Frags
08/06/2002, 08:33 AM
I have one plastic golf tee (plain Jane yellow with no ID marks) that sinks in saltwater. I want to get some more for frags. All I can find are wooden ones. Does anyone have any idea?

Also, just in the brainstorming department: What else other than bud vases and golf tees could provide the highest organized packing density? Legos??????(really expensive though)

Dwayne
08/06/2002, 11:27 AM
Buy legos at garage sales. They get cheap that way. ;)

Dwayne

rudij
08/06/2002, 02:34 PM
Talk about a waste of perfectly good legos. Besides Legos are not solid and rather easy to trap airbubbles in the underside of a lego.

just my 2cp

Frick-n-Frags
08/07/2002, 07:21 AM
Just think, if you superglued a Lego baseplate to an eggcrate hanger so it hangs over the side of the tank vertically Then you superglue frags to little Legos, and just stick them onto the baseplate. You could turn them to let out the bubble before you stick them to the plate. Anyway that is my vision for Legos :D

Let's see, tomorrow is Thursday, national garage sale day, I'm on it :D

Also, Mithrax crabs have something defective in their programming when it comes to superglue on glass. They will scrape the glass CLEAN of all traces of superglue, the little jerks (but I love 'em). I made a little display out of like 6 coral frags on a glass candle holder and set it in the tank. The next morning all 6 frags were laying in a pile and the candle holder was clear of all superglue.

LiquidShaneo
08/07/2002, 03:36 PM
Why don't you just use rose holders? They're a green tube that holds individual rose stems. The top is plastic with a slit cut in into it and all you have to do is take your SPS frag and jam it in the slot and VIOLA! you've got your frag mounted. No messing around w/ glue, etc. This is how Tropicorium does it...

Shane

Frick-n-Frags
08/07/2002, 05:34 PM
thanx Shane, the bud holders are an option, but they cost money and you have to fill them, and they are only so dense. Rick@coraldynamics uses them too(but he ships unmounted) I even have a frag still in its bud holder.

There must be something even better than them, just exploring the options.

cal3v
08/13/2002, 12:47 AM
Golf shop?

Frick-n-Frags
08/13/2002, 07:47 AM
One would think, but I struck out majorly in every shop I have been in around Cleveland Ohio. I have been checking them out any time I see one. Did some web work too looking for them.

Now watch, after 10 years or something, I find them, and then I find they don't work well for frags :D

worf59
08/19/2002, 01:31 AM
How about half inch cpvc tubing? It's certainly cheap enough...about $1.50 for 10 feet. You'd have to cut it to length.
I do that kind of mindless chore while watching tv or when otherwise bored to tears (G).
I have more time than money....so for caps I think I'd take a 3/4 inch paddle wood bit and cut disks out of old CD cases and then superglue them on.
I know....very labor intensive.....but cheap! (G)

Frick-n-Frags
08/19/2002, 05:58 AM
thin cpvc tubing, wow, that bears looking in to, thanx. That is the dia that goes to like clothes washers right? I wonder what other kinds of thin bulk tubing there is too. Awesome to be able to cut it with snips too, but a cutoff saw and a jig would go fast too.

I wonder if you could easily notch them to fit onto eggcrate.

worf59
08/19/2002, 09:53 AM
CPVC is used for hot water.....thus it has a thicker wall than regular PVC. But it is smaller on the outside diameter than the regular stuff. Clothes washers may be plumbed with 3/4 inch or 1/2 inch CPVC on the hot water side. You can tell CPVC by it's beige color...while regular PVC is white.
I checked.....1/2 inch CPVC is slightly bigger in diameter than the holes in my eggcrate. SO, if you cut the bottom of the tubing at an angle...say 45 degrees....it should slide right into the eggcrate and then stop just before it can fall thru.
Good luck and happy fragging (G)

Frick-n-Frags
08/20/2002, 10:07 AM
very cool, off to Home I go (dropped the Depot part because I pretty much live there :D)

worf59
08/20/2002, 12:33 PM
Let us know how it works out.....the pros and cons....for future reference. I'm doing softies right now until my 75 ages a few more months. But when it's time........
Thanks

Jim

Reef Madness
09/12/2002, 11:10 PM
When you go to Home Depot, check out the nylon inserts for bolts.

They make one that fits the egg crate squares perfectly and looks like it will fit into most holes or crevices in LR when the frag gets to it's destination.

RM

eddie
09/22/2002, 07:04 AM
I've always heard (I thought )not to use cpvc for some reason(I forget)but the golf tee idea is awesome one could even drill holes in the rock to stick them in

reef madness thats a great idea also

seaspook
09/22/2002, 10:12 AM
ora uses a neat liitle plastic thing that looks like a small bulkhead strainer. they fit perfect into eggcrate. i have been looking for them with no success i dont like flower bud vases because they seem to get the rotten egg sulfur smell inside of them ( anerobic i guess) which i think cant be good for the frag.

golf tees are a good idea, i have a golf shop next door to my work i will check them out
alan

Frick-n-Frags
09/22/2002, 06:10 PM
Do you have any idea what industry they are from or can you get in touch with ora? Do you have a pic? and thanx BTW :) These sound nice.

RM those inserts sound nice too. How expensive are they?

Man are there a lot of wooden golf tees out there. I have been in at least 20 golf shops around Cleveland now this summer. Struck out totally in every one. Plus if you aren't buying a Big Bertha, they don't really want to talk to you much. :D

seaspook
09/22/2002, 08:19 PM
sorry, thought you would know about ORA

you can almost make them out in the pic. somebody has to know a contact there

http://www.orafarm.com/invert.html

alan

ByTor
09/25/2002, 06:39 PM
ever think of using nylon screws???

frink
09/25/2002, 10:31 PM
The plastic items that ORA uses for frags are Toro filter screens for pop up sprinkler heads . Some sprinkler supply houses will give you all you want because many pros do not use them and each sprinkler nozzel is shipped with a screen.