PDA

View Full Version : Visiting SW Florida

Agu
08/03/2002, 11:36 PM
I'm in Naples, homeless and jobless, sponging off friends for a place to sleep. We'd like to travel around Florida, meet people, and decide where to live/work. Anyone out there willing to show off their tanks and tell us about their communties.We drove through Tampa/St Pete but really didn't see much. We have a couple of weeks (or more) and are willing to drive about anywhere (in Florida that is ...)

Agu

scubadude
08/04/2002, 03:25 AM
Hi Agu

I sent you a PM w/my phone number, call me and we can hook up

luminary
08/04/2002, 07:17 AM
I haven't sent out the announcement yet, but if you're still in FL, our next meeting is going to be on Aug 24th. We'll be having a BBQ and a memebers house.

It's going to be in Tampa so you'll have a bit of a drive if you're still in Naples.

Agu
08/22/2002, 07:40 PM
Met Scubadude and GregT, they're such nice people, we're moving to the area. We signed on to buy a house in Venice, we close the end of Sept . I can't make the August picnic but I'm looking forward to meeting a lot more people in western Florida. Obviously I'm reefless now, hope that doesn't preclude me coming to future clubb meetings in Tampa ??? BTW, I'll be looking for a used setup in a couple of months in case anyone knows of anything coming up.

Agu

Matt, I'd appreciate staying on the email list.

luminary
08/22/2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Agu
Met Scubadude and GregT, they're such nice people, we're moving to the area. We signed on to buy a house in Venice, we close the end of Sept . I can't make the August picnic but I'm looking forward to meeting a lot more people in western Florida. Obviously I'm reefless now, hope that doesn't preclude me coming to future clubb meetings in Tampa ??? BTW, I'll be looking for a used setup in a couple of months in case anyone knows of anything coming up.

Agu

Matt, I'd appreciate staying on the email list.

Having a tank is definitely not a prerequisite :)

I haven't announced it yet, but there are two members that are looking to downgrade to a smaller tank. They are both looking to sell complete 120 gallon systems. I'll be giving more details at the meeting, but can email you if you want.

You're already added to the list!

bgdiving
08/23/2002, 01:40 AM
Agu
Welome to the area, I'm just a little north of you in Nokomis. Glad to have you in the area. Hope you can make the meetings. There are a few of us from the club in the Venice area. Will most likely be hosting a meeting down here in the fall. will discuss that at the meeting this Sat.

Agu
08/24/2002, 08:40 PM
bgdiving,

Great to hear there are local reefers :smokin: . What LFSs are available around here ? Found the one in south Sarasota (or was that Bradenton), and the store in Port Charlotte. I also visited a couple of places in Naples, but that's a bit of a drive. Any place else I should check out ??

Are there enough local reefers/marine aquarists to start our own club? Maybe we can get enough local interest to get some fragging and swapping going!!

Agu

bgdiving
08/26/2002, 02:23 AM
Agu
You missed a good meeting, hope once you get settled in you can make a few of the meetings. The November meeting is scheduled to be at my place in Nokomis. Hopefully once your settled we can get together before the Nov. meeting. I'm always interested in trading frags for something interesting that i don't have.

downdeep
08/26/2002, 02:39 PM
Welcome to venice!
I'm also in venice. just a mile or two south of bgdiving. I think the only LFS in venice is Venice pet, which doesn't carry a whole lot in the saltwater department. Most of the time we will take a drive up to st. pete or tampa and raid the LFS's there.
Where in Venice is the new house??
Bryan

scubadude
08/26/2002, 04:05 PM
hey we should all get together some time and go to the Ft. Myers LFS's they have some good ones there I like

Boardroom Aquatics
Lefauns
Ocean environments

Venice pets is ok...but you gotta be in the right place at the right time (as w/any LFS) I think Trading is our best bet.....All of locals should do a tank tour some day? what do you guys think?

Are there enough local reefers/marine aquarists to start our own club? Maybe we can get enough local interest to get some fragging and swapping going!!

That would be so cool if our area grew enough interest to start our own club, but I dont think there is enough interest, hopefully im wrong though.

luminary
08/26/2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Agu
Are there enough local reefers/marine aquarists to start our own club?

Hey now! Don't try and steal our members! :D

downdeep
08/29/2002, 05:01 PM
Don't worry Matt, we aren't going anywhere ;)

Agu
08/29/2002, 08:00 PM
Matt,
Not trying to steal members:D , just starting a southern branch !!

If the LFS are iffy there's a possibility of pooling livestock orders. It worked for TCMAS to make large group orders, we got price breaks and cheap shipping. As far as me sharing frags, I only have two corals left and they're in GretT's tank. For all practical purposes I'm starting at zero.

Downdeep, I'm in "Pinebrook", about three miles inland off Venice Ave.

Agu

downdeep
08/29/2002, 08:05 PM
WHOA! I live right off Pinebrook! in the neighborhood right across from the baseball fields!
Bryan

bgdiving
08/29/2002, 09:04 PM
Agu
Have you already moved in or just in the process?

Where was TCMAS?

Agu
08/30/2002, 08:25 AM
Hey Bryan, we'll be neighbors !!! I'm back in Mn now. We'll be renting a truck to haul our stuff back to Fl and closing on the house at the end of Sept.

TCMAS = Twin Cities Marine Aquarium Society (They have the next forum after the Tampa club)

Agu

bgdiving
08/30/2002, 08:45 PM
Grew up in Southeastern Minnesota and graduated from Uof M Mpls campus