PDA

View Full Version : For Sale Cichlid lovers

rldavis
08/03/2002, 07:47 PM
Okay, I talked to my dad today and he's looking to get rid of his 200 gallon cichlid tank. Actually I think it's a 220, but don't tell him that :D. For those that have seen our SPS tank in the works, it's identical minus the canopy. It's an Oceanic with a wood (pine) stand. There are 3 filters...two different model Fluval (404 he thought) and a wet-dry. There is one light and a Mag Drive 500 pump. The tank WILL come with the livestock and here's what he has...Keep in mind that this is a large tank, and so are the fish.
1 four foot Araowana silver(sp?)
1 large Bala Shark
1 large Plex
1 large cat fish (not sure what type, but it's sliver w/black dots)
1 large Geopheagus (sp?) Brazilianus (sp again!)
1 medium Geopheagus Gerapari (Heck, I don't know!!) but it's the smaller type geo.

Also included are 400-500 lbs. of really nice large pieces of rock.

For the above setup he would like $800

I'm going to start a different thread for the other stuff he has because it's more saltwater related.

Let me know either by responding here or a PM if you're interested or if you know someone who's interested and I'll hook you up with him. :D

Thanks,
Becky

Lilgrasshopper
08/05/2002, 11:45 AM
I'll take the Geophagus braziliensis if nobody wants it. It'll go well with my arowana tank. 4' silver arowana would probably need to be donated to the zoo. Ask him if he wants to barter for the tank. Since he's a carpenter(?) would he be interested in a Dewalt 3HP router (used..variable speed--biggest model they have) and a brand new Dewalt (bought and never used 2 months ago) jigsaw (higher end model which cost me 150. I also have a router table but never used either..damn, I was a wanabe carpenter but thought it best be left to the professionals. I assembled the router table together and tried to hook up the Dewalt router..but this router is meant to be plunged not go up side down this router table. Anyways, if he can knock the price down with the barter to something more managable...like 500, that would be great.
well, don't know if i can handle a tank that big anyways....just a thought.

Tom

rldavis
08/05/2002, 05:19 PM
Tom,

I'll ask him, but I have to say that I'm thinking that he'll pass on the tools...You see, my dad has a VERY large shop beside his house and it's full of all of the cast iron professional type woodworking equipment. Too bad we don't have a tank available, I'm sure my hubby would be interested. :D

If you're serious, I'll ask him if he would either just sell you the fish or sell the entire setup for $500. The Araowana fits fine in this tank, that's why it's going with it. I don't know for sure how much bigger it's gonna get though.:rolleyes:

Let me know if you're really interested, at the very least I can set up a time for you to go out there, or I can take you out there to check it out, then you can think about it. He lives in southeast Norman on Lindsay street.

Becky

FirstAveKid
08/05/2002, 08:04 PM

DrkShadow
08/05/2002, 10:39 PM
Would he sell the tank by itself? Hmmmm :D

rldavis
08/06/2002, 07:20 AM
Due to the size of the fish and the difficulty in finding them a new home, I doubt he would sell just the tank. Of course anyone is welcome to buy the tank and then sell the fish themselves, but I can tell you that it will be very hard, especially with the Araowana. So sorry to say, but I think this is an all or nothing deal. The PLUS is that this tank isn't possessed like the 220 that we got from him. :D

Becky

Don Davis
08/06/2002, 07:59 AM
I'd say buy the whole setup and eat a nice Arowana filet while enjoying your new 220 gallon reef. :D

Don

Lilgrasshopper
08/06/2002, 09:54 AM
There's a few Vietnamese restaurants that I can think of that would probably be interested in an arowana of that size....probably will scare the customers away though. There's 2 that I can think of that has some silver arowanas already...about 2 feet long though.
I think I'll have to pass on this tank though...too big and would be too much trouble to move...plus my mom would kill me for bringing another tank home....I've got at least 6 or 7 tanks at home right now (lil ones).
If the G. brazilienses looks good, I'll take him. Does he have any other cichlids? Maybe a P. dovii? Gotta love those tankbusters.:eek1:

rldavis
08/06/2002, 11:05 AM
Nope, the only fish are the ones that I listed :) He does have a 90 gallon with a few discus, but they're not for sale.:eek: I'll keep in mind the restaurants in case we end up having to find another home for the Araowana, otherwise it goes with the tank.

Becky

rldavis
08/06/2002, 07:57 PM
Tom,

I spoke with my dad this evening and he said if you would like the Geophagus (sp) Brazlianus (sp), he'd sell it to you. :) It's about the size of a dinner plate, very large. Apparently the bala shark is picking on it anyhow, so it'd probably be good to find it a new home in a different tank. What's a fish like that worth?

Becky

Lilgrasshopper
08/07/2002, 01:36 AM
Beck,

Boy your daid is really into fish isn't he? I like discus....they nice! G. brazilienses sells for 4 dollars at 2-3". If it's big and doesn't have any genetic deformities, I'll take it for 20 bucks. Stores would probably sell it for 30 though. What kind of discus does he have? Been thinking of getting some....Marboro Reds and Blue Diamonds..red turquoise is nice classic too...especially the german strains...

Tom

rldavis
08/07/2002, 06:34 AM
I think that 20 bucks will be fine. I'll check with him and let you know. It's healthy and I can't see any genetic problems with the fish.
He has 5-6 discus I think. I know there are a couple of Marlboro and cobalt blue, but I can't remember for sure. That will be the only tank he will have left if he can sell this 220. They are cool though. As long as I can remember he was into keeping the more obscure/advanced freshwater fish. A lot like the stuff they used to sell at Seas and Trees if you ever went there before they closed.

Lilgrasshopper
08/08/2002, 03:20 AM
I love the high end FW fish like Discus, Frontosas, Tropheus moori/dubois type fish. Even exotic plecostomus...have u seen a goldy or Vampire or Zebra? They all nice!!! My friend even has a couple of Tigrinus catfish.....The old store on lockheed used to carry one of those catfish....sells for 1 grand at that size. Let me know when u get ahold of it...i'll come over...or do I have to p/u in Norman? Let me know soon please....since I'm off this week.
Sure he can't let the discus go too??? :D
Tom

rldavis
08/08/2002, 05:41 PM
I don't really want to bring it here because I don't have anywhere to put it. I think it would be better for the fish if you go pick it up. I'll call my dad this evening (in a few minutes) and post here when I get something worked out. Maybe tomorrow or something. If you want me to go with you, it would have to be Sunday. Saturday is pretty much booked up for me. :)

I'll let you know soon, worst case I can give you his phone number after I talk to him and you two can work something out.

Becky

rldavis
08/09/2002, 07:36 AM
Tom,

Sorry, I wasn't able to reach my dad last night. I'll try again early this evening and let you know what I come up with.

Becky

Lilgrasshopper
08/09/2002, 08:50 AM
Thanks Becky

rldavis
08/09/2002, 07:21 PM
Tom,

I sent you a private message with my dad's phone number. :)

Becky