PDA

View Full Version : 10gal handle 3 fish?

Vietboyx2
08/03/2002, 03:47 PM
hey guys,

well i recently had a blue tail damsel in my 10 gal. but when i got my new true perc and firefish goby i took him out because i was afraid he would be too aggressive. he's been in a temporary 2 gal container for a week now. Do you think i can add him back to the main tank? Would this be an overload on fish? But if he's too agressive i'll have to go fishin for him and take him out.

specs:

11pds of LR
2inch DSB
Skilter 250
2x55 watt PCs
Maxi-Jet 400

7 blue hermits

tank has been up for 3 months.

thanks

Lunchbucket
08/03/2002, 09:11 PM
i would not do 3 fish in a 10gal nano and i would not add the damsel as it will surely pic on the firefish and more than likely the clown too!!

Lunchbucket

chess_wizard
08/03/2002, 10:28 PM
personally, i dont think its a great idea.

Pinecone_Jeff
08/03/2002, 11:49 PM
I wouldn't recommend it either. A damsel is too *****y of a fish to keep in a small tank with other fish.

However, keeping 3 peacful in a 10 gal is not out of the question. I have a pair of ocellaris and a royal gramma in my 10 gal for a year and half plus. All are doing well as are my xenia, mushrooms, and capnella cuttings.

However, I do have heavy grape caulerpa growth to help with the excess nutrients produced by the fish (I cut it back every 3 weeks or so) and I just added an old Coralife Skimmer 1. The skimmer is, I guess, a co-current skimmer, but it does an adequate job. The foam, after adjustments, is actually pretty dry and fits nicely in my Penguin 125 HOB filter (obviously with no filter media).

The only thing I would worry about is your firefish getting picked on by the clown. After all, a clown is just a damsel fish. My royal gramma can hold his own against my female ocellaris by faking attacks. But a firefish might get too freaked out with a pair of percs, especially if the female get really territorial.

Just some thoughts... Hope your tank turns out the way you want it to. Let us know what you decided to do.

By the way, how did you fit a 2x55 watt fixture over your 10 gal? I'd love to see how you did that.

Rock Anemone
08/04/2002, 03:30 AM
I have two 55 watt PC's over my ten gallon. They don't fit in the hood but they only stick out barely an inch on eachside. Not to bad.... :)

I like using 2-55 watt 50/50 bulbs because it spreads the colors out more, rather than having the front of your tank blue and the back of the tank white... :)

Rock Anemone:)

Pinecone_Jeff
08/04/2002, 09:25 AM
Ah, I see!
Well, that's not an option for me unfortunately. I have my 10 gal at work and my team members would kill me if they had to stare at a blue and white light source all day long! :cool:

Vietboyx2
08/05/2002, 10:26 AM
guess i won't add the damsel after all...thanks for the suggestions. really appreciate it