PDA

View Full Version : My colt frags

jonah
08/02/2002, 06:59 PM
I'm not sure what seperates a frag from an actual coral. The frags I'm offering for trade are at least 4" tall with at least a dozen branches on each frag. They might not be attached by next saturday though.

Don Davis
08/04/2002, 10:04 PM
What would you like as a trade? I can frag just about anything in my tank. Is there anything in particular you're interested in? Since you're hosting the meeting, I'll bring you several small frags like I did at Richards.

Don

jonah
08/04/2002, 11:03 PM
Really anything that will do well under 440w of VHO. I'm not picky and I only have a few corals now: colt, finger leather and a few different mushrooms. How could I forget my open brain?:D

Hopefully all the frags will continue doing well this week. I'm totally new at fragging so it's been a bit of an adventure.

DrkShadow
08/05/2002, 10:55 PM
Yea I hope to start fragging the leather I have and maybe my hammer. I owe Don a few frags. Still have some cyno going on from the live rock I added a few weeks ago so I'm not gonna frag from a few more week. Maybe it will be ready for the nex meeting.

jonah
08/06/2002, 07:24 PM
One of the colt frags doesn't want to attach, but it's color is still good (fingers crossed). I made some small frags of the finger leather too and they all look real healthy so far. At least leather isn't slimy.

I added some more sand the other day and Don was right, there is more life in my sand than I thought. I found the horseshoe crab that been missing since before the 4th of July. I also saw some tiny black spot hauling butt across the sand and into a rock. I was too far away to get a good look, but it looked smaller than a grain of rice. There's a feather duster growing in the sand that got added two days ago too.

rldavis
08/06/2002, 08:02 PM
Jonah,

I don't know if this would work for a colt or not, but you can certainly try it. Take a plastic (Solo) cup and cut the top off. Put a piece of rubble in the cup along with the frag. The cup provides a bit of shelter from current and keeps (hopefully) the frag with the rock. I know we've done this with mushrooms and stuff and it seems to work pretty well with them. Although it doesn't look very good. :( You can also try "sewing" the frag onto a rock using a very small (5 lb.) fishing line and a needle. Just thread it firmly, but not too tight and tie it on the rock.

I know that colts are a real booger to get attached. We had the same problem when we fragged ours.

HTH,
Becky

jonah
08/06/2002, 08:54 PM
I wrapped it with a piece of rubble in a plastic net. The net has holes about the size of a dime. I'll try that solo cup idea next time.

Watch it attach to the net instead.:rolleyes: