PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used this method?

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
08/01/2002, 08:44 PM
For my colt frag I think i'll try the toothpick method but i've heard that sometimes it melts the colt or something. Have lots of you had success with this? I still dont feel comfortable with stabbing a toothpick through my coral. Any better suggestions? Do any of you reccommend any super glue that i can buy that is safe for my tank and sticks to colts?

rldavis
08/01/2002, 09:18 PM
The only thing that has ever worked for us is "sewing" the frag onto a rock. We've found that the best thing to use for this is fishing line, like 2lb. line. Just put a needle on it, poke it through and loosely tie the frag onto the rock.
I don't believe, IME, that there's a super glue that will stick to a colt or any soft coral. The fact that they can contract and expand and super glue is so brittle makes it difficult work to get one to stick that way.

HTH,
Becky

rudij
08/01/2002, 09:21 PM
I personaly have not tried the toothpick idea but the following thread has some good pointers along with info for useing CA gel on softies.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=101318

hope this helps.

jonah
08/01/2002, 09:46 PM
I've got a couple of colt frags right now being held down with a toothpick and some rubber bands. It's only been a couple of days, but they look good so far. It's the first time I've fragged so I'm pretty excited about it.:D

They also seem a lot bigger now than when I cut them. My next victim is a finger leather.;)

Frick-n-Frags
08/02/2002, 04:24 AM
I use strategic loose rubberbanding for my slippery little softie frags. Glueing is futile because they can slough it off in addition to changing size, so it is rough, especially slimy ones like colt. I could see maybe gluing Sarco frags because they are almost dry for lack of a better word, but they rubberband really well too.
I have heard that the toothpic causes enough trauma sometimes to start an infection, but maybe any technique would under the right(wrong) conditions too.

GARFVolunteer
08/02/2002, 10:57 AM
Using bridal veil netting and CA/Super glue works real well for me. You lay a frag on a small rock you want to attach it to. Stretch a thin strip of the netting over the frag and glue both ends of the netting to the rock. \

The netting will stretch when pulled in one direction one way but not the other. Make sure where it contactd the frag it is very thin.

Here is a like that will explain better:

http://www.garf.org/MPegs/CapnellaPropagation.html

worf59
08/19/2002, 01:54 AM
I tired sewing mine to a rock....but the line just cut through the frag. I eventually just put a rubberband around it...with just enough tension to hold it to the oyster shell I wanted it attached to...but not so much that it constricted it into dividing. After 10 days it was attached. It might have attached sooner, but I didn't want to disturb it and make it come loose.

Heavenly Damsel
08/21/2002, 08:26 AM
I used the toothpick method on my colt without any problems. Make sure you get the plastic toothpicks though. Works great. Superglue would not work because they slime so much when they are first cut. They really feel nasty when you cut them.

spineshank385
08/21/2002, 11:16 AM
what's wrong with the wood toothpicks? I have one attaching with a wood one right now, and it's been doing fine since i fragged it (about 3 days ago).

Heavenly Damsel
08/21/2002, 11:28 AM
All posts I have read say not to use them. Harder to remove I think. I also would think you could leave a splinter in the coral on removal fairly easily. No chance of that with plastic.

spineshank385
08/21/2002, 12:42 PM
oh, ok. Just as long as it's not going to poison the tank or something. I have a huge colony of cladiella that i'm gonna start fragging, and i just wanted to try a piece first. I'll get some plastic ones once i get my frag kit ready.