PDA

View Full Version : HOT Protein Skimmer suggestions

snowslide
07/30/2002, 07:37 PM
Does anyone have a good suggestion on HOT Protein Skimmers?

I have heard good things about AquaC Remora and CPR BakPak, and I have heard mediocre results with SeaClone.

I currently have the opportunity to buy a CPR BakPak 2 from someone on RC for $80. I can also pick up the SeaClone 100 for $80. Which would be the better choice? Also, anyone know the difference between the BakPak 2 and the BakPak 2R? (Apparently the 2R is more suited for reefs since it adds no additional media, which basically means it comes without the BioBale... couldn't find any other differences)

Appreciate any advice! Lookin' for the best investment... and no, spending over $150 is not an option. :rolleyes:

marcus peters
07/30/2002, 08:53 PM
James

I can't give you any advise on the backpacker but I can tell you what I know about the seaclone because I have one. In my opinion they are junk. For some strange reason about 8 months ago my tank turned to solid green water I couldn't see any further than about 2 inches into the thing . I asked 20 different people what the problem was most of them said "dissolved organic waist" in other words ( you need a skimmer ) so I asked the same people witch to buy most said seaclone. I put it in the tank it ran for at least 2 weeks before I got anything in the cup. With my small fish load now and a large tank size along with water changes that I do every week my nitrates stay high so my skimmer should kick in and help out you think . Right? wrong !! I haven't had so much as a drop in it for at least 3 months . So my advice is buy any thing but a seaclone.:

Marcus

snowslide
07/31/2002, 12:44 PM
Thanks for sharing on your results with the Seaclone. I really hate to hear all the problems you are having with it. Have you looked into the modifications you can do for it under the DIY forum? Maybe that might help you get your $$$ worth out of it.

I think your response finally swayed me over to the CPR. It ended up being the 2 instead of the 2R, but with the right modifications, I think I can make it just as effective as the 2R. *cross fingers*

And from what I heard about the BakPaks is that they have a chamber that I can fit my heater into, so I can pull it out of my tank and plop it in there. Added bonus!

jonah
07/31/2002, 06:25 PM
I think I must have got lucky with my seaclone. Everybody rags on them, but I've been getting a couple cups of scum per week and it's been over two months since I set it up on my 75g. The only real problem I've had is the foam bubbling out of the breather hole on top of the cup. It cost less than $70 on www.bigalsonline.com .

snowslide
07/31/2002, 06:59 PM
Hey Jonah,

From what I have heard, Seaclone revamped their product to basically take advantage of the preexisting mods shared on Reef Central. So if you purchased the new model, it probably is more effective.

All I know is that I have not heard from enough customers with the new Seaclone, to be comfortable purchasing it. And since I was able to grab the BakPak for $80, I jumped on it.

Maybe someday Seaclone will regain its customer's trust. Probably could use more people like you sharing their good results to get back on track.

BTW, thanks for the link. Haven't been to that site before, just heard about it!