PDA

View Full Version : Nano skimmer reviews

chevegan
01/28/2007, 10:15 PM
I'd like to hear from people with actual experience and even pics if possible. I have a 12g jbj nano. Yes I know sapphire makes a nano skimmer but I've yet to hear from someone who actually has it. The other skimmer I'm interesting in would be the tunze nano skimmer
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=TZ5311

As far as the fission goes I've heard mixed reviews. Lets try to make this an educational thread eh. So once again post only if you have had personal experience with a nano skimmer of some sort. Post your pics.

Oh i should probably mention, this is for skimmers meant to be used in Nano rear sump apps. i.e Aquapod, nano cubes, bio cubes etc. This is not a thread for 20 gallon AGA's with a 10g sump with a full size skimmer of any kind.

gkelly
02/01/2007, 08:34 PM
I have the Sapphire skimmer for the BioCube 29. A different skimmer than for your tank but very similar.

I really like it, it's well put together, and they are very helpful when you have questions.

I'd buy it again, and I'm getting ready to buy one of their HOB refugiums.

macperry
02/01/2007, 08:51 PM
I have a "beta" version of the Sapphire 12g skimmer for my AP12g. The skimmer is fantastic. After you figure out the ideal water levels and skimmer cup height, you can get it to skim wet, dry, or anything in between.

ipiniowa
02/01/2007, 09:18 PM
I bought the fission about a week ago and it is Cr@p...

macperry
02/01/2007, 09:39 PM
What makes the fission such a POS? Looks like a simple design. Will it fit in one of the chambers of an AP12g with the lid closed with no mods?

Monkey55
02/02/2007, 12:59 AM
The skimmer set up for the Biocube 29 guy. How high did you raise chamber in the third chamber, it is under my impression. That you can fill iy straight top the top?

chevegan
02/02/2007, 01:56 AM
I really would like to know if anyone has any thoughts on the Tunze. It's one of the best known names out there,it must be half descent.

Kinetic
02/02/2007, 02:10 AM
i have two tunze 9002's on my 40g breeder. they are both completely silent. like, seriously, silent. You can't hear them until you take the cup out.

Well built, easy to clean, but only downside it always skims wet no matter what. Not a bad thing, just you can't have it skim thick.

Both of my skimmers only work for the first two days, then you have to clean the cup. That's a downside =( but otherwise if I clean every two days or three days, it pulls and pulls.

Mine never skim more than 100ml until I clean them, so I don't know what the point is of having such a big cup =P

Rosseau
02/02/2007, 09:48 AM
I recently bought the Tunze Nano Skimmer..

So far it's pulling out nice dark skimmate although i'm still trying to calibrate fully.

At this point it's a winner. However I have minimal experience with it. I'll let you know if anything, um, exciting happens with it.

chevegan
02/02/2007, 12:37 PM
Anyone getting dark thick skimate with the Sapphires? Or is it mostly just the wet stuff.

tebmsu97
02/02/2007, 02:28 PM
Macperry,

How did you get the "beta" version of the 12g AP skimmer?
Do you know when they will officially release these guys?
Can I use the one designed for the JBJ in my 12 g AP?

Thanks in advance

ipiniowa
02/02/2007, 02:40 PM
What makes the fission such a POS? Looks like a simple design. Will it fit in one of the chambers of an AP12g with the lid closed with no mods?

It doesn't skim, and it will not fit in the back of the AP12G with no mods.

beetlejuice
02/02/2007, 03:42 PM
Will the Tunze fit in a BioCube 8? I'm not positive on the 2nd chamber dimension but the skimmer is only 2.1 inches wide and 4.9 inches long.

LenMooreJr
02/02/2007, 07:40 PM
check out the nano skimmers at http://storefront.addictiveaqatics.com (http://storefront.addictiveaquatics.com)

LenMooreJr
02/02/2007, 08:06 PM
OOOps... forgot the pic!!!
http://storefront.addictiveaquatics.com

beetlejuice
02/02/2007, 09:58 PM
I've measure the 2nd chamber and its about a 1/4 inch short for the Tunze. Does the Sapphire 12 measure 2.25 front to back or left to right? I think I can get it in chamber 2 if it is 2.25 front to back.

macperry
02/03/2007, 12:15 AM
tebmsu97: I started working with Kyle to figure out how to make one if the JBJ 12g skimmers to work in the AP12g. Because of the false floor in chambers 2&3, there wasn't enough room for the skimmer. Chamber 1 won't work because the overflow drowns the skimmer. Chamber 4 won't work because of the return pump already taking up space. The work around for now is to split the pump from the skimmer body and put it in chamber 2. Then run some elbows and tubing over the partition between 2&3, and onto the pump body in chamber 3. After you get the hang of setting the pump output at just about the bare minimum, and get the water level in chamber 3 just right, the skimmer actually kicks butt. It is very well made, and Kyle is a great guy to work with. Let me know how it works out for you if you decide to try it.

macperry
02/03/2007, 12:17 AM
ipiniowa: What kind of pump is the Fission running? Is it a small adjustable flow air injection type pump?