PDA

View Full Version : Where to get LS to cycle tank.

Borisk
07/30/2002, 12:34 PM
I need to find a local place that will sell me 1lb. of good live sand to prime my 120gal. tank for cycling.

I'm in northern NJ.

Aquatropics or Absolutly Fish tends to have coral rubble and is rediculously priced.

Thanks.
Regards,
Borisk

Satchmo
07/30/2002, 03:05 PM
I seeded my sand with a scoop from Reef Encounters in Hackensack. They were about to break down a tank, so I asked and the guy gave me a bag full for free. I don't know if that's something they will normally do though... I'll get the phone # for you if you want to check, although it's abit of a haul from Wanaque.

Borisk
07/30/2002, 03:11 PM
Thanks,

I know that place very well, used to live in Hackensack.

Regards,
Boris

Satchmo
07/30/2002, 03:12 PM
Reef Encounters
504 Hudson Street
Hackensack, NJ 07601

Instead, you may want to drop a post in the classified forum here. I'm sure there's a fellow reefer near you that would help you out.

Bio
07/30/2002, 08:32 PM
Personally I would not recommend :

Reef Encounters
504 Hudson Street
Hackensack, NJ 07601

They have had flat worm problems in there reef tanks for years.
They siphon them out regulary so the untrained eye may not see them at first.

Please reach out to a local reefer first...

BORECKI
07/30/2002, 08:50 PM
Boris ; You can try Hanover pets in E.Hanover on rt 10 west bound side in the home Depot shopping plaza.
Tell them Boris sent you, (I'm a regular there).
You can also come to one of our club meetings and ask for sand. That should net you several cupfulls from several tanks.
Boris.... Oh yes; Boris#1 or Boris Borecki;)

TrippingBilly
07/30/2002, 10:27 PM
Hey Borisk, I have some LS. I bought about 10 lbs from Brian from Atlantis Aquatics, but I decided to go with another grain size so I have a container of southdown in my basement, if you (or anyone else) wants some. I am in north Jersey. PM me if you need some still.
Wayne

Satchmo
07/31/2002, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Bio
They have had flat worm problems in there reef tanks for years.

Really? I actually bought my LR through them, and heven't seen any flatworms in the few months my tank's been up. I'm not doubting you, maybe I just got lucky. I hope their not lying in wait to release their plague on my tank :(

Bio
07/31/2002, 08:20 AM
Satchmo,

The flatworms reside in the top right 125g reef tank.
Although all tanks on that side are connected, the worms never make it down to the live rock tanks.

Satchmo
07/31/2002, 10:47 AM
OK- I actually bought the Fiji rock from the island of tanks in the middle, not the baserock tanks on that side. The seeding sand I used came from one of those Fiji cure tanks as well. Glad I haven't bought a coral from them. I probably would have if they weren't so big. I prefer to get smaller specimens and let them grow with the tank.

Thanks for the heads-up,
Kevin