PDA

View Full Version : Is this light fixture sufficient for my tank?

victor_c3
01/28/2007, 09:06 AM
I've been reading everything I can find about lighting for the last 2 weeks and I still can't figure it out. Everything and everyone says that "watts per gallon" isn't how you determine what type of lighting you need for your tank, but then they never tell you how you're supposed figure out what type of light you need. So I'm just going to take a shot in the dark here.

I have a 30 gallon tank that is 15.5 inches deep. I'm a complete newbie, but I don't want to buy a light fixture that is going to limit me from keeping SPS and clams one day.

Would this T-5 fixture work for my tank? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=15491&N=2004+113175

Should I get one (48 watts each) or two of these sets (for a total of 96 watts)? Would this be sufficient to keep SPS and clams? Would I also be able to keep an LPS like frogspawn with these lights and some soft corals with these?

From what I've read, Metal Halides and other lights aren't an option for me. I need to have my display tank completely enclosed due to the tank's location and my cats.

Are there any other light fixtures I should consider?

Thanks in advnace for your help and patience!!

Victor

Agu
01/28/2007, 12:21 PM
If you need the top completely enclosed consider building a hood for your tank. That still leaves the lighting options wide open.

If you want clams and difficult SPS you'll need to go to MH lighting, probably a 250w bulb. However, that will be a bit much for the other corals you mention without carefull acclimation and placement.

The fixture you referenced will be OK for softies and most LPS but marginal for SPS and worthless for clams. I have 96w of PC on my ten gallon tanks and won't even consider trying a clam.