PDA

View Full Version : Chiller down!

wiszmaster
01/27/2007, 07:26 PM
just got back from SWS in naples ... and the chiller is down.

Fan is running, but compressor is off - compressor will kick on for about 3-5 seconds once or twice a minute ... but sounds weird ... like as if youa re tossing some coins ina metal bucket ...

Refrigerant low?

knwo anybody that would be able to stop by tomorrow & check it out?

call me 410-2983 please!

coralfarmer84
01/27/2007, 08:24 PM
you better hope your compressor isn't toast... that usually means time for a new chiller altogether.

wiszmaster
01/27/2007, 09:27 PM
We just looked at it, the compressor uses R134A - and scott said Advanced, or Autozone sells car refrigeration kits since R134A is used in cars most of the time ... so i will pick one up tomorrow to see if my Refrigerant is low .. lets hope the compressor has a low refrigerant cut off switch.

ConcreteReefer
01/28/2007, 01:05 AM
Man, you have the worst luck... I have a 1/4hp chiller you could borrow for a couple of days if needed.

wiszmaster
01/28/2007, 01:44 AM
i'll have to see - i'm hopingt hat i wouldn't have to do that ... but if i have to order parts on monday, i might have to take you up on that. hoping not though...... this blows. tank is already 2.7*F higher than it should be ... we'll see how tomorrow goes ...

is your chiller a drop in, or pump fed?

coralfarmer84
01/28/2007, 01:47 AM
dude why's your tank running so hot... the temp in my tank is 79 degrees at the current moment and has not yet had a chiller on it... granted it gets up to 84 sometimes and i'm going to get a chiller, but your tank is in a much cooler room than mine, your lighting is cooler, the only source of heat could be the sump being in the garage. You should be more than fine as long as the temp slowly rises and not jumps, my tank has seen 85 for several days and nothing suffered at all (granted this is way too high to feel comfortable about)

coralfarmer84
01/28/2007, 01:48 AM
which brings me to my next point lol, anyone got a 1/2 horse chiller for sale (not yours marco lol)

keinreis
01/28/2007, 09:06 AM
he likes to have his chiller to replicate the water temps in the great barrier reef!:lol: basically don't stick your arm in his tank during the winter. 74 degree water is cold!

wiszmaster
01/28/2007, 11:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9094029#post9094029 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralfarmer84
dude why's your tank running so hot... the temp in my tank is 79 degrees at the current moment and has not yet had a chiller on it... granted it gets up to 84 sometimes and i'm going to get a chiller, but your tank is in a much cooler room than mine, your lighting is cooler, the only source of heat could be the sump being in the garage. You should be more than fine as long as the temp slowly rises and not jumps, my tank has seen 85 for several days and nothing suffered at all (granted this is way too high to feel comfortable about)

I'm sure alot of the reason is that you have an open top ... eventhough i have 4 fans in my canopy - it stil is pretty warm in there! my lights are also about 2" above the water surface ... i'm sure yours are higher up. and most of all - you have 2x the water volume as i do ...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9094843#post9094843 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by keinreis
he likes to have his chiller to replicate the water temps in the great barrier reef!:lol: basically don't stick your arm in his tank during the winter. 74 degree water is cold!

it is damn cold!

ConcreteReefer
01/28/2007, 02:48 PM
It's a pump fed Coralife 1/4hp..

74 is kind of cold, I keep my tank-temp at 79

coralfarmer-
I *might* be selling my Aquamedic 1/2hp in about a month or 2-
I'll be upgrading my tank to a 210 and installing a 72" Solaris light fixture. With the LED's, I dont think I'll need a 1/2hp.

wiszmaster
01/28/2007, 03:55 PM
how about i'll buy that 1/2hp from you?

just had the AC guys over ... compressor is toast. ****!

coralfarmer84
01/28/2007, 10:11 PM
if you want to sell it concrete both I and marco are in need (I'll be looking for one in about 3 weeks, he is looking now so first come first serve if you need it go for it marco.... :)